DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Login Remember Me Error

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I don't know if this is an ongoing issue or if it just happened since upgrading my website but after changing a password and checking "Remember Me" the site is not remembering the new password. Every time a user needs to log in after a password change they need to always enter the new password. The site seems to be entering the older password in the password box. So firstly you think the password is OK so you try login but then you get an error indicating you have entered the wrong password. The user then needs to understand this so they can fix it by entering the last password applied or they cant log on. It's messy and really annoying. I believe others have this issue but I cant find a fix.

Veteran Member

I never heard of a behaviour like this. Which DNN version?

Please check the value for PersistentCookieTimeout in your web.config - this is the time in minutes to "remember" the password since the last login, e.g. 10080 for one week (=60 * 24 * 7). A value of 0 means that the password is not remembered.

Next step: Before you change the password, find the (hashed or encrypted) password by using this query:

SELECT u.UserName, m.[Password]
      FROM dbo.aspnet_Membership m INNER JOIN dbo.aspnet_Users u ON u.UserId = m.UserId
      WHERE u.UserName = '(YOUR_USERNAME_HERE)'

Note the value for the password. Then try to change the password (log in as this user and use the "normal" interface) and run the query again. Has the value changed?

If yes, I suspect you have some caching issue. Otherwise, the permissions for the database might not be set correctly.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect
      You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved