DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Applicaton Error

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Let me start by saying I am new to DNN and was task to upgrade one of our old DNN site to the new verion. I've installed DNN on my local computer and had it running very quickly.

"Suddenly" I'm getting an error page with just Application Error. I've looked at the Exception table in the database but the information was not very helpful.

I'm hoping someone can point me to where I can get more details on the issue.

If this isn't the right place for my message please let me know.

Thanks

Growing Member

Try checking the Windows Event Viewer logs for Windows Logs > Application, and in /portals/_default/logs/todays-date

Veteran Member

Alex,
        it would be helpful for us getting the details from the exception, you may also check /portals/_default/logs for a proper list using same timestamp (converted to server time / UTC)

New Around Here

At the time that was the only info I had, I did go look at the logs under /protals/_default/logs.
          After looking at the looks and doing a quick search in the community I found a post with a similar issue and she said she fixed it by deleting the temp folder. I have no idea what Temp folder she was refering to as I was not able to find any temp folder under the DNN site.

Here is my log (edited for just the most recent event):

2022-02-16 19:13:08.473-07:00 [ALEA-XPS9710-21094][D:2][T:11][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: Unhandled error loading page. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The file '/DesktopModules/DDRMenu/Menu.ascx' does not exist. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The file '/DesktopModules/DDRMenu/Menu.ascx' does not exist. ---> System.Web.HttpException: The file '/DesktopModules/DDRMenu/Menu.ascx' does not exist.
             at System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath)
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
             at System.Web.UI.BaseTemplateParser.GetReferencedType(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean allowNoCompile)
             at System.Web.UI.BaseTemplateParser.GetUserControlType(VirtualPath virtualPath)
             at System.Web.UI.MainTagNameToTypeMapper.ProcessUserControlRegistration(UserControlRegisterEntry ucRegisterEntry)
             at System.Web.UI.BaseTemplateParser.ProcessDirective(String directiveName, IDictionary directive)
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)
             --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessException(Exception ex)
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath)
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseInternal()
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse()
             at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType()
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider)
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders()
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
             at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
             at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath)
             at DotNetNuke.UI.ControlUtilities.LoadControl[T](TemplateControl containerControl, String ControlSrc)
             at DotNetNuke.UI.Skins.Skin.LoadSkin(PageBase page, String skinPath)
          2022-02-16 19:13:08.475-07:00 [ALEA-XPS9710-21094][D:2][T:11][FATAL] DotNetNuke.Framework.PageBase - An error has occurred while loading page.
          System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
             at DotNetNuke.UI.Skins.Skin.GetSkin(PageBase page)
             at DotNetNuke.Framework.DefaultPage.OnInit(EventArgs e)
             at System.Web.UI.Control.<InitRecursiveAsync>d__225.MoveNext()
          --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
             at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
             at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
             at System.Web.Util.WithinCancellableCallbackTaskAwaitable.WithinCancellableCallbackTaskAwaiter.GetResult()
             at System.Web.UI.Page.<ProcessRequestMainAsync>d__523.MoveNext()
          2022-02-16 19:13:08.475-07:00 [ALEA-XPS9710-21094][D:2][T:11][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - ~/Default.aspx?tabid=21&error=terminate
          System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
             at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
             at System.Web.Util.WithinCancellableCallbackTaskAwaitable.WithinCancellableCallbackTaskAwaiter.GetResult()
          2022-02-16 19:13:08.483-07:00 [ALEA-XPS9710-21094][D:2][T:11][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Veteran Member

did you make sure, the ddrmenu file mentioned does exist and the ASPNET process has permission to access it?

Veteran Member

Posted By Sebastian Leupold on 17 Feb 2022 04:17 AM
              did you make sure, the ddrmenu file mentioned does exist and the ASPNET process has permission to access it?

As the DDR menu is listed as "not in use" in the Module Extensions some users uninstall it.
              But one should not do that as it's used in the Skin too. (but not as a module)

Veteran Member

IMO DDRMenu should be marled as "System", so it cannot be uninstalled by accident.

New Around Here

Thanks for the replies.

DDRMenu does exists and the specific file Menu.ascx also exists.

The ASPNet process does have access to the site folders.

This started happening when I rebooted my PC.

I will continue researching the issue.

Again, thanks for the replies and help.

New Around Here

I found the issue, IIS had created a virtual directory for DesktopModules and was pointing at the wrong location.
                    Pointing it to the right location fixed it.

Thanks
                    You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved