DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Two Installs - One database

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Hi

In cloning portals on Azure, I realise now they have been using the same SQL database/server, and have found some user details are moving between the portals (host details for example)! 

Should each DNN install have its own database even on a shared server - is that the best practice?

Plus the portals are behaving strangely in changing how the user experience looks, its almost like they are very slow in adopting changes made. 

More practically, if planning to scale  to tens of thousands of users, and a lot of extension/functions, is the best architecture to these split out to individual portals and use user athentication to connect them?

Ken

New Around Here

Ken, will be interested to see what info you get here. I have been trying to figure the best way (or if there really is a way) to conveniently use the development slots on Azure. I have not figured out an easy or effective way to use them yet.

Veteran Member

Each DNN install needs its own database. No sharing.
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

to solve your current situation without resetting the whole second install, you may clone the database and adjust the connection string in web.config file. You will need to adjust users and content according to your needs.

Growing Member

Take the learning - this was a mistake in cloning on a Azure set up. Azure suports cloning, and while experimenting, it was possible to make a change to data on one and it came up on the other. Change users picrure or details for example.  However, too risky to use for real. Clone was bined.

Growing Member

Hi Alex,

just been through a painful failure recovery on Azure, Mr Microsoft set out that slots to a web service are 'only' for preparing the production environment.  Its a bit quirky but works fine and manages alphas to beta to live easily.  

Beware though that backing up slots is problematic I found. Its problematics with web services period as some of my other recent posts testify.

Advanced Member

Just to add my 2 cents. Officially Dnn does support multiple instances on the same database and it has done so for a very long time when it was expansive to host multiple databases. This used an objectQualifier string in front of each object (table, view, stored procedure, etc.) But, many modules did not test this properly and caused issues and we have removed the option to set the objectQualifer during installation in recent versions. So long story short, don't do it :)

Veteran Member

Posted By Daniel Valadas on 10 Nov 2019 01:56 AM
                  Just to add my 2 cents. Officially Dnn does support multiple instances on the same database and it has done so for a very long time when it was expansive to host multiple databases. This used an objectQualifier string in front of each object (table, view, stored procedure, etc.) But, many modules did not test this properly and caused issues and we have removed the option to set the objectQualifer during installation in recent versions. So long story short, don't do it :)

In my experience, using Object Qualifiers in general is not a great idea.  We've run into many issues with this in the past.  Longer term, you'll have to de-couple this feature anyway and it's time-consuming to do so.  :(

Veteran Member

Well, to give my two cents: I use object qualifiers a lot in my dev and testing environments, but not on productive installations.

Happy DNNing!
                    Michael

Michael Tobisch
                    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                    DNN Connect
                    You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved