DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

dnndev.me stopped working

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I am a developer and have installed dnn locally multiple times and up to a couple of weeks ago everything was working fine. Earlier this week I needed to debug a module of hours, something I've done many times before, and when I tried to bring up the dnndev.me site I got the error "This site can't be reached...dnndev.me refused to connect".

Unfortunately I don't know what may have changed in my laptop over the last couple of weeks that might be causing this. Here's what I've tried so far with no success:

• deleted the dnndev.me website located in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\
    • uninstalled/re-installed IIS to include deleting the inetpub folder after uninstall
    • unzipped the dnn 8.0.4.226 install zip file into c:\inetpub\wwwroot\dnndev.me folder
    • created dnndev.me website which uses dnndev.me app pool
    • verified permissions on dnndev.me folder include full control for dnndev.me account
    • deleted/recreated dnndev.me database and set up account with dbowner permissions to the dnndev.me database for the login I created
    • cleared the browser cache/
    • flushed dns...ipconfig/release and renew
    • tried incognito
    • tried chrome/edge/firefox
    • verified the host file is empty
    • verified my Windows Feature on/off are correct
    • verified my windows defender firewall is Off
    • verified there's no proxy being used
    • verified when I ping dnndev.me I get the expected 127.0.0.1 IP
    • verified when I tracert to dnndev.me it's only going to my local laptop url
    • verified the IIS "Default Web Site" comes up fine

At this point I should be able to browse to dnndev.me and get the DNN setup screen but instead I get the error I mentioned.

I've run out of options and cannot find anything online that is similar.  Does anyone have any suggested on what I can try before I have to replace this laptop?

Thanks
    Pablo

Veteran Member

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

New Around Here

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I saw you're reply in Stackoverflow and responded. In short I'm familiar with the virtual drive issue for the DesktopModules folder but that is not the case here. None of the folders are marked as virtual drive nor as applications.

Growing Member

Hi Pablo,

I have experienced something similar one time when I was fiddling with the language settings in DNN - even though I reverted the settings I applied during 'the test' I could no longer get the site to respond without having to append '/en-us' to the path (default language - will be need to be matched to your regional language setting if you have changed it from default)

It is not on your list of trials-and-errors - so perhaps you could give that a try?

My first guess would also have been the virtual directory issue as Michael described - that happens every now and then during development ;-)

#DnnBro

New Around Here

DNNBro, thanks for the suggestion...I tried it but it didn't work for me.  I'm not sure what else I can try.

Veteran Member

Try pinging dnndev.me and see what you get.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

UPDATE:

Ok...I won't say I figured it out but I was able to bring the DNN Setup page up. Here's what I did.

I noticed/remembered that the default website that IIS installs which it names "Default Web Site" is installed in the root "wwwroot" folder and that it worked fine. Yet the DNN sites created under it do not.

So I then tried creating a simple 1 page website in a "testsite" folder in wwwroot and it also did not work. Same error.

So on a whim I copied all the files from the dnndev.me folder into the wwwroot folder and gave permissions to the IIS_IUSRS account and I was able to bring up the DNN Setup page by browsing the "Default Web Site" or localhost!?

So it seems to be a permissions issue? Or IIS issue? But one I've never heard of.

What is even stranger is that I then created a dnndev.me web site with the dnndev.me app pool, gave the folder the dnndev.me app pool permissions etc. and pointed it to the root wwwroot folder...but if I browse to it using the dnndev.me URL it does not come up but gives me the "This site can’t be reached dnndev.me refused to connect."!!!???

But if I browse to it using "localhost" or click the browse link for the default website the dnn setup page comes up?!

So to put it mildly I have no idea what is going on...I was going to mark my question as answered with this information but I realized that I do not know why it works in wwwroot but not in the dnndev.me subfolder or any subfolder. Nor is it a viable solution.

I'm hoping that with this additional information someone might recognize what is going on?

New Around Here

Hi Joe, I get the expected 127.0.0.1 reply

Veteran Member

Have you tried setting up a site using nvQuickSite? This makes a lot of the setup work (even permissions), but I only recommend it for testing environments and not for production sites.

I normally do it this way:

1. Create a folder somewhere outside the C:\inetpub\wwwroot structure, let's say C:\Web\mysite or D:\Web\mysite... (if you have another drive than C: I recommend using it)
                    2. Create an application pool in IIS Manager, say MyWebSiteAppPool. USe .NET CLR Version v4.0.xxxxx and Integrated pipeline mode (which is both the default).
                    3. Assign "Modify" permissions to the folder created in 1) to IIS AppPool\MyWebSiteAppPool.
                    4. Unblock the installation package and unzip it to the folder created in 1. The file web.config should be in that folder after unzipping.
                    5. Create a database in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
                    6. Create a login in SSMS, Name: IIS APpPool\MyWebSiteAppPool, Windows integrated authentication.
                    7. Assign a database user with db_owner role to this login in the database created in 5)
                    8. Create a website in IIS Manager, select the folder created in 1) as root and assign the application pool created in 2). Use something like "mysite.dnndev.me" as host header.
                    9. Select the website in IIS Manager, and double click "Authentication" (under IIS in the middle pane). Select "Anonymous Authentication" and click on Edit... in the right pane. Select the "Application pool identity" option and click OK.
                    10. Browse to "http://mysite.dnndev.me" and start the installation process.

Happy DNNing!
                    Michael

Michael Tobisch
                    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                    DNN Connect
                    You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved