DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Read-only document management

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Evening all - I'm new to DNN and have recently inherited a site and hoping to add functionaWoulity to it over the coming months.
    Would anyone be able to advise on a document management module whereby multi-page documents can be uploaded so they are read only?

Cheers, Rich

Veteran Member

Rich,

DMX (Document Exchange) by  bring2mind is quite popular and powerful.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Veteran Member

The bring2mind is indeed a powerful extension. But if you need something simpler, you can also use the default resource manager.
        The pencil icon allows you to set permissions on a folder. And you can have different permissions set to different roles. As the 

If you do not have the resource manager:

1. You should get that as the old file manager (digital asset manager, DAM) is depending on Telerik, which has been deprecated. https://docs.dnncommunity...k-removal/index.html
        2. If you can not upgrade on short term, the DAM als supports this.
        Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
        Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
        We just love DNN
        https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Mind you, btw, that the resource manager is not working well with composite files turned on. It makes the persona bar disappear on pages where the resource manager resides. 

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Well, Tycho is right. But: I have still problems with restricting the view to a folder and it's subfolders only, see Resource Manager - "limit" access - DNN Open Source Community - (dnncommunity.org).

A very simple solution could be DNNCommunity/DNN.Documents (github.com)

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

New Around Here

Michael and Tycho - thanks for your ideas so far. I will be exploring if they can do what I need.

I should really expand my requirements and say that I want to expose 160 journals that each contain a dozen or so articles. They're currently in pdf or word format and I should be available to be read securely by members who are logged into the site. The members should NOT be able to download or copy text from the journals.
              Cheers, Rich

Veteran Member

Rich,

not download or copy cannot work - whenever you read a pdf or doc(x) file (even in your browser) it will be downloaded to a temporary folder on your computer and displayed by your client software. This has nothing to do with DNN, it's the way the web works.

The only thing you can do is using only PDF files and protect printing (and editing, if you want) with a password, but this is not 100% secure. You may also sign it digitally to avoid that someone is changing the document.

Happy DNNing!
                Michael

Michael Tobisch
                DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                DNN Connect

New Around Here

Hi Nathan - yes, looking for some way to upload documents from word or pdf, and display them where the user can't copy or download the material.  Before I was looking after the site (actually a few years ago now) the site used Flash for this purpose.  Obviously, no longer available.

Cheers, Rich

Veteran Member

Hmmm... My spam radar is pinging. 👀

New Around Here

Is it?
                      Perhaps your spam radar is a little sensitive!
                      Cheers, Rich
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved