DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Install Help?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I am getting an error when i set up the installation wizard.  

I have the following set:

Server Name:  SQL\MSSQLSERVER

DatabaseName DNNWEB

User defined security.

When I try this, I get an error that says: 

Source:  .Net Sql Client Data Provider

Class 20

Number 87

Message is blank.

Now, If I do not use the server name with the default instance appended it errors.  Even when I try this with SA I get this error.  There is only so many things I can be doing wrong, any suggestions how I trouble shoot this?  I checked and there are no logs that I can find?

Growing Member

Are you sure your servername is 'SQL' and the instance name is 'MSSQLSERVER'?
      If you can connect using the same settings in SSMS it should work without problems if the 'db_username' user have the sufficient access rights?

Your connection window should like this : 

Connect to Server

The logs are stored here : Portals\_default\Logs and are of type 'resources' to avoid being downloaded by mistake.

New Around Here

Thanks.

The server is technically sql2012 (I shortened it for brevity).  

I do not need the instance on the other machine (I can join the machine from SSMS using just the server, user name and password).  

I will check the logs later.  Hopefully there is a more verbose reason for the failure.

Veteran Member

The instance name MSSQLSERVER is normally the default instance of SQL Server - therefore it should not be necessary to add it to the connection string ("not necessary" should mean "would not work with it").

Another problem could be a firewall between the web server and the SQL Server (if they are not on the same machine). Please check if you get an answer from port 1433 (or whatever your instance uses).

User defined security.

If you use an SQL Server Login (instead of integrated security, which is highly recommended) you have to activate Mixed authentication mode in SQL Server.

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

Please check out the TCP port open in SQL time the TCP service is off you can't access your server also please share the MSSQL database login screenshot along with the installation screenshot

3ART TechnologiesRegards,
            3ART Technologies Expert

3ART Technologies
            Experts in Analysis, Design & Development for DNN and SharePoint Solution
            https://www.3art.tech/

Advanced Member

Another good thing to check on the serverside is that the SQL server services are running correctly. To check this just open a command prompt and type "services.msc"

Regards,
              Ing. Marco Alvarado Gómez MSc | Globalode
              Phone. +506 6049-1880 | WhatsApp. +506 6049-1880 | Email. [email protected]
              Address. Costa Rica (A Pura Vida place!).
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved