DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN - Need Help/Advice

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi All,
    I have a Windows Desktop App (written in Visual Foxpro) and I would like to add an integrated website as an option for my clients.  The integration piece should not be too big of a deal, as my Desktop App can already communicate with SQLServer via ODBC.  There may also be clients that use the website that are not running my Desktop App, so integration will not be needed in some cases.

I'm starting from scratch, so no legacy DNN websites.  I want to stick with the Microsoft platform as that's what I know.  Is going with DNN a good option considering the whole .Net Core thing?  The websites won't be anything too complex.  Basic stuff really, but I will need to display maybe 50 inventory items, images and prices.  I will probably also want to have an optional ecommerce feature.  If I can get a few years in the current version of DNN, and then migrate to .Net Core when that's available/ready, it hopefully shouldn't be too big of a deal since the websites will be fairly basic, right??  I do want the site (template) to look great and be responsive.  I will also want to have at least a dozen or so different themes that can be utilized.

Also, assuming I go with DNN, I will probably want to hire someone to create the initial site (template) as I am very new to DNN and website development.  Any idea what the going rate is for a custom DNN site/template?  I greatly appreciate any advice and guidance.  

Thanks,
    Steve

Veteran Member

You'll have no problems getting "a few years" out of DNN. It's under active development and Microsoft is going to support the underlying technology for 10 or more years.

Switching to .Net Core certainly is a possibility, but the availability of a solid product with a mature ecosystem there isn't yet available. The is an alternative based on Core, but the ecosystem hasn't had time to develop. I don't think that there is a good eCommerce solution, either.

If I were you, I would go with DNN, enjoy the next decade, and look for opportunities as they arise.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

As Joe mentioned: we do not have a clear path to .NET Core for several reasons. Last years the reason was that Microsoft seemed to have a bumpy roadmap and a number of critical features were not (stable) in .NET Core. Currently, we know that this has improved a lot but it also means a lot of work. That is why Umbraco for instance decided to start a whole new project in .NET Core basically abandonning the product they had. And yes, .NET will be supported until 2031 and the current .NET Core until 2024 (I think) so a move towards that direction comes with some side notes.

My approach for projects like you describe: 

Take a DNN, install an e-commerce extension and reevaluate in another 5 years. In my opinion Microsoft and/or the .NET Foundation should do more helping professionals migrating to their next stage. And I expect them to develop tools to migrate.It won't be a next-next-finish-migration but easier than the current one.

If you are a developer yourself, you might want  to check out OpenStore from our friends at Agence Seame, formerly Nevoweb) https://www.openstore-ecommerce.com/en-gb/
        If you want something supported, you might want to check out Live Storefront from our friends at Mandeeps https://www.mandeeps.com/ecommerce

Hope this helps.

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
        Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
        We just love DNN
        https://www.tjeps.com

Advanced Member

SteveP, about your question on regards to an approximate rate it's hard to tell because it depends on the requirements. But I do recommend you visit the DNN store (https://store.dnnsoftware.com/) and go over several skin options, in there you'll find the profile of the company that created the skin; with that information you can contact them directly and request a quote.
          Some of these folks have the option to convert PSD to a skin so maybe you can get a cool design and then adapt this to a DNN template/skin using their services.

Another option will be to use a freelance platform such as Fiverr, Upwork or PeoplePerHour in order to get the custom template/skin you required.

Regards,
          Ing. Marco Alvarado Gómez MSc | Globalode
          Phone. +506 6049-1880 | WhatsApp. +506 6049-1880 | Email. [email protected]
          Address. Costa Rica (A Pura Vida place!).
          You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved