DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Site assets file upload failing

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I recently followed the documentation to increase the allowed file size upload limit, and that seemed to work, but now I'm running into an "upload failed" message for a file that's within the allowed size range.

Changes I initially made per the documentation:

1. edited the feature settings for request filtering in IIS to update the maximum allowed content length
    2. in the web config, updated executionTimeout, maxRequestLength, and maxAllowedContentLength
    3. in the DNN admin, updated the max upload size under security > more > more security settings

After I made those changes, I was able to successfully update the security settings to 475MB.  First I tried uploading a video that was 65MB (so well above the original default 28MB limit), and that worked fine.  Now I'm trying to upload a second video that's 201MB, and that's the one that's failing.  The upload progress bar gets all the way to the end and then turns orange with an "upload failed" message.  No related errors in the admin logs from what I can see, and I checked that there's still plenty of free disk space.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Growing Member

Have you tried adding the requestLengthDiskThreshold attribute as well?

It goes in the httpRuntime element.

Example of max values found here : https://stackoverflow.com...-of-maxrequestlength

I seem to recall having had the same issues years back - but I couldn't find it in my notes, so I had to rely on my old friend Google to help me out ;-)

# DnnBro

New Around Here

Hi DnnBro, thanks for the suggestion.  That attribute was already present in the web config, so I didn't have to add it.  Right now it's set to the same value as maxRequestLength, which I believe is correct - I read somewhere that it should never be larger than maxRequestLength, since that can cause problems.  I can try bumping both of those values up a bit so they're still equal though and see if that makes a difference.

Veteran Member

Also, does the second file have the same extension as the first file? If it is different, make sure that file type is permitted in your DNN. You can edit the list of allowable files type in Security, More, More Security Settings.

If you look at the log4net logs (/portals/default/logs), you may find some additional information there.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Hi Joe,

Yes both files are mp4.  Thanks for the suggestion about the logs, I'll take a look at those and provide an update when I have a chance.

Growing Member

Hi Pam,

I noticed you have upped the executionTimeout - perhaps it is a timeout issue instead? If your executionTimeout is longer than your sessionTimeout upping the latter could also be a thing to try out.

How long does it take for you to upload the file(s)?

When checking the logs also take a look at the IIS logs (if you have access to them => C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles)

#DnnBro

New Around Here

Hi Joe and DnnBro,

I finally had a chance to get back to this, and I'm not seeing anything in either the log4net logs (/portals/default/logs) or the IIS logs (C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles).

I double checked the sessionTimeout on the server, which is set to 20 minutes.  If I understand correctly, the executionTimeout is in seconds, so a value of 3000 = 50 minutes.  I timed the file that's failing, and it takes just over 2 minutes to get to the end of the progress bar before the failure message, so I wouldn't think it's timing out at this point.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,
                Pam  

Growing Member

Hmm.. this is a tough one.. I'm running a bit short on ideas I have to admit :-)

Any chance your F12 window gives you any indications of error in the console or network window?

#DnnBro

Growing Member

Can you try setting a Failed Request Tracing Rule in IIS to get more detailed info?

Open IIS Manager, select the website, select Failed Request Tracing Rules.

Click Edit Site Tracing, tick Enable, click OK.
                    Click Add to add a rule.
                    Leave the All content option selected, click Next.
                    Type your error status code - or type 400-999 if you're not sure.
                    Click Next.

Leave the default trace providers enabled.
                    Click Finish.

Restart IIS.

Recreate the request that produced the error then check content of the trace files in the directory shown when you enabled tracing.

Remember to disable tracing and restart IIS again afterwards to avoid unnecessary performance hits.
                    You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved