DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Document Viewer Module

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Growing Member

For years I have been using DNN's Document Viewer module on my website. I see though that it contains the telerik dll so I assume this means it will be discontinued and I will need to replace it.

Any ideas what to do or use?

I use it as a way for the public to view a library of folders and files. On our website server is a folder for Board Documents. Under that folder are folders for Meetings Packages, Minutes, Resolutions, Presentations, etc. Under each of these folders is a folder for each year going back 10 years. Under each yearly folder are several files. I found the Document Viewer module really useful as I could upload all these files onto the DNN server and then just added the Document Viewer module to a page and set it's default folder to the Board Document folder. Then the public can browse the folders and files just like using Windows Explorer. They can then select a file and download it. Makes it super easy to upload multiple files at once and not have to do any code.

Would love to keep this simple going forward. Especially if I have to add a new module to a page would hate to have to do individual links. Looked at the Resource manager module but it looks ugly and with the big folder icons and not the full file or folder name displaying it is hardly any use.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Like following the KISS solution and Document Viewer fit the bill.

Veteran Member

I am not aware of a "DNN" Document Viewer module, therefore I guess it is some third party extension. Best thing would be to contact the vendor for a newer version (without Telerik).

If this is not an option, there are some modules around with this functionality, but as I don't know what your exact needs are (only PDFs or other documents as well?) I can just make a shot in the dark. A PDF viewer is (for example) PageFlip by Aricie. Or search the DNN Store.

On the other hand, there are some JavaScript libraries with this functionatily, so if you are able to tinker a bit you could use a multi-purpose module like OpenContent or 2sxc to get what you need.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Growing Member

It is a DNN module that has been on the website since I first went with DNN Evoq. When I look at the properties of the Extension it has the module name of DotNetNuke. Professional.DocumentViewer and description is DotNetNuke Corporation Document Viewer module. Current version is 9.0.02.

Veteran Member

As it is an Evoq extension, it is maintained bij DNN Corp. I would not go there and use something else. And that's where Michaels questions come in. What do you want to view ?

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Oh - I did not know there is one in Evoq...

Tycho is right: chances are small that you get a newer version, so I would switch into something else - or save the money that Evoq costs, switch to the platform = community version and spend the money for something more useful, e.g. visiting the DNN Connect Conference wink

The problem is: how many of the Evoq modules are you using and how expensive (not only money, also time!) is it to transform them into alternatives...

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

Growing Member

Yes, I am starting to look at switching off of Evoq and moving to the free DNNPlatform but don't know how hard that will be or what is involved.

Veteran Member

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
                Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
                We just love DNN
                https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

It might also be a good time to spend a tiny bit of the money you will save by not renewing an Evoq license by hiring someone who is experienced at moving Evoq to Platform.

Ask, and I'm sure that you will be able to find some excellent help.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Yes I think that is a great idea. The videos mentioned are for DNN 8 so would be a little old and not accurate. 

Any ideas of who is able to perform this type of migration? Did find https://engagesoftware.com/ but was not sure if anyone else does as well.

Veteran Member

Please send me a private message (use the contact form at the website in my signature), and I can give you some other names.
                      Joe Craig
                      DNN MVP
                      Patapsco Research Group
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved