DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

SignalR in a MVC module

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have a module in which I would like to implement SignalR. Unfortunately, the examples I have found (including the DnnChat module by Chris Hammond) are not built using MVC, and I have been unable to translate them into my project. I did see a tutorial that might have what I need, but it was behind a paywall. Are there any modern examples or tutorials out there that could help me figure this out?

Thank you

New Around Here

MyDnn.LiveChat https://github.com/mydnn/LiveChat provides exactly what you are looking for with a caveat.

The caveat: it only works with DNN 8 :( and SignalR has to be updated work with DNN 9. I gave this about 8 hours of effort and gave up. Technically the module installs - it just doesn't work.

That being said, it works great with DNN 8 and compiles against DNN 9. Do me and the rest of the community a favor and upgrade it for use with DNN 9. Perhaps we can collaborate. Also - would love to convert this to an Oqtane module.

What do you think?

Anyone agree?

It is a fascinating module which uses SignalR for the chat and it is MVC. It won a DNN module competition in like 2015 or 16 or something.

I would love to collaborate with you on making this module work with DNN 9.

New Around Here

I managed to cobble together a solution that works in DNN9. I built it using the Upendo DNN project structure, so the Solution may look a bit foreign to those only familiar with the ChrisToc templates. I based my work on this Microsoft Tutorial, which translated into the DNN world relatively easily. There's no fancy stuff like rooms, database tables for chat archival, or avatars. Right now, it's nothing more than a proof of concept with a lot of copy pasta, but it does work.

That being said, I have published the code base to GitHub for your parusal.

I may clean this up over time, and I welcome your feedback, but for now, I need to get back to the real work.

New Around Here

Posted By Ken C on 12 Aug 2022 03:18 PM

I would love to collaborate with you on making this module work with DNN 9.

Thank you so much for the response! Hopefully there will be an answer or two in my repo that will translate into your module. I have forked your repo to play with it, but because of time constraints I'm afraid my play time will need to be postponed. Good luck and have fun!

New Around Here

For the record it is not my module. 

It is awesome and something I would love to make work with DNN 9.x which because of the changes of SignalR doesn't work in DNN 9. It will install and all the admin functionality works but the chat part doesn't because it has to be refactored to the newer version of SignalR. 

I happen to be on a team of five DNN developers now and perhaps we all can put our heads together and make a functional version for DNN 9. 

While we're on this thread: If you haven't played with Oqtane yet this would be a good time to do so. Oqtane makes extensive use of SignalR and is the next logical step for ALL DNN developers. Oqtane was founded by Shaun Walker - our Luke Skywalker/Elon Musk/Neo - and at version 3.1.4 is about where I discovered DNN 2.1.2 - namely a sophisticated and complete framework from which to build your own applications upon. I played with earlier versions and didn't quite get it. All I can say is Shaun has done an Elon Musk worthy contribution to the ecosystem by releasing this to the community. If you are building a new project - consider using Oqtane instead of DNN as it comprises all the important pieces and parts that DNN has - but is modern and future proof. If you haven't investigated how readily your skills from DNN will translate to Oqtane, check out Michael Washington's awesome SyncFusion How to Build A Help Desk Module in Oqtane here.

Either way good luck on your project.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved