DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Fresh install error

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Installing latest DNN, the install runs fine no errors, but when I try to go to my site I get this error. Searching I found this error pops up when you move a site or change database portalalias entires. But again this is a fresh install, any help appreciated;

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       DotNetNuke.HttpModules.OutputCaching.OutputCacheModule.OnResolveRequestCache(Object sender, EventArgs e) +679
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +141
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step) +74
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +92

Veteran Member

This is a much more common error than it should be, but it usually happens because of a blocked file.  

Before you do anything to install and/or use any Zip file that contains anything executable (like a software application, DNN, etc.), you first need to check to see if it's blocked by Windows.  

Whenever you download a file in Windows using a web browser, it's saved in a blocked state.  For most files, you may not ever notice or care, but when it comes to anything that can run code - you must care.  Windows can sometimes ignore files you didn't expect.  This is what I believe might be happening to you.  

So, when you download the installation/upgrade package from Github, the very first next step should be to:  

1. Right-click on the installation package.  
      2. Choose Properties.  
      3. Looking at the first General tab. look at the bottom of the Window.  If you see a button/checkbox to Unblock the file, click/check. 
      4. Click Save to save your changes.  

If you've already attempted an installation/restore, you'll first want to delete anything you've done to start over.  Then, do it again from the first step once you're sure the Zip file is unblocked.  

If the file is indeed already unblocked, then this might be a simple file availability/lock issue.  In this case, you'll still want to start over. 

If it happens again, you may want to temporarily stop any antivirus program you have from monitoring the installation folder until you're done doing the install.  

New Around Here

Very interesting I wasn't aware that was a feature added to windows. So I d/l a fresh copy of the install package, ticked the unblock option as you pointed out, unzipped then used that to do a fresh install and it worked. Thank you for this info VERY helpful. Doubt I would have figured this out myself. May want to make this very clear on the download site to avoid future folks ripping their hair out as I was.

Veteran Member

Posted By Gothic Wizard on 11/16/2022 3:58 PM

Very interesting I wasn't aware that was a feature added to windows. So I d/l a fresh copy of the install package, ticked the unblock option as you pointed out, unzipped then used that to do a fresh install and it worked. Thank you for this info VERY helpful. Doubt I would have figured this out myself. May want to make this very clear on the download site to avoid future folks ripping their hair out as I was.

Thank you for letting us know this resolved your issue.  Your follow-up suggestion is a good one.  I've reached out to some others on the Awareness team to see where/how we should best put that.  :) 

Veteran Member

Posted By Gothic Wizard on 11/17/2022 12:58 AM

To keep up my smart alleck attitudes: MotW (Mark of the Web) is not a Windows feature, it is supported by all OSs using either xattr or NTFS file systems. It is a marker in the Alternate Data Streams (ADS) set by the client that downloads the file from the Internet (browser, mailclient...).

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect
            You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved