DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Getting Error While Setting Up SQL Server Management Studio

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello,

I am trying to configure this SQL Server Management Studio but it is showing an error. I am using Windows 8, 64 Bit, I have installed and verified all the versions of the Dot Net Framework.

This is the Error- "You must install either DNN Framework 2.0 or DNN Framework 4.0 to install SQL Server Express 2012"

However, I am using this DNN Framework 4.0 Framework but still getting this error.

I've done this numerous times; I've installed and removed each of these, experimenting with various sequences and orders beginning with 2.0 alone, then adding the others. But the same error. I've checked online and can see that many others have experienced the same issues; occasionally, a registry hack was advised. But I was curious if anyone knew of an effective solution.

Thanks

Veteran Member

you need to install Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0, usually from "add/remove windows functions" option in Settings > Apps

Veteran Member

This could also be another very annoying and old bug. SQL Server installer checks the (configured) language/culture of the OS, and you need a corresponding installation pack (which does propably not exist).

Example: If you want to install the German version of SSMS, you can download the German install package - but this only installs on de-DE (Germany), and not on de-AT (Austria) or de-CH (Switzerland). First you have to change the reginal settings in Windows to Germany, then install it and then switch back - it works fine, but the installer goes crazy here.

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

PS: Windows 8 and SQL Server 2012 are not in mainstream support for a while now. For security reasons you should not use them anymore.

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Veteran Member

As it pertains to the .NET Framework update/install, I'd recommend going to the Microsoft website directly and installing 4.8.  This will install all of the previous necessary .NET versions and you'll be in a good position to go through Windows Update faster.  

New Around Here

Yes, I am using MS .Net Framework 4.0 but I this issue is due to the older version of Windows. Am I right?

Veteran Member

Posted By James Millere on 1/10/2023 9:39 PM

Yes, I am using MS .Net Framework 4.0 but I this issue is due to the older version of Windows. Am I right?

Well, specifically 4.8, but yes.  Windows is also a consideration when installing .NET of any version.  If you're at least on Windows 8.1, you should be fine, but 10 and 11 would be better.  As far as servers go, I think Windows Server 2016 and higher would be best.  

Veteran Member

Again, Windows 8 and 8.1 are already out of support, even extended support. Mainstream support for Server 2012 and 2012 R2 has ended in Oct 2018, extended support will end in Oct 2023. And mainstream support for Windows Server 2016 has ended a year ago, extended support will end in one year. Mainstream support for SQL Server 2014 has ended in July 2019, for SQL Server 2016 in July 2021, and for SQL Server 2017 in Oct 2022.

That means: if you dont' have a (quite expensive) extended support contract with MS, you do not get updates for these products anymore, and therefore have a growing risk of running into security issues.

Happy DNNing!
                Michael

Michael Tobisch
                DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Posted By Michael Tobisch on 1/11/2023 11:08 PM

Again, Windows 8 and 8.1 are already out of support, even extended support. Mainstream support for Server 2012 and 2012 R2 has ended in Oct 2018, extended support will end in Oct 2023. And mainstream support for Windows Server 2016 has ended a year ago, extended support will end in one year. Mainstream support for SQL Server 2014 has ended in July 2019, for SQL Server 2016 in July 2021, and for SQL Server 2017 in Oct 2022.

What he said...  :)  👆🏽 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved