DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Would like to help out with the DNN community.

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have been using DNN for a long time.  I have lived with people rolling their eyes when I tell them I use DNN and not Wordpress.  I have watched the community dwindle and the stats of websites using DNN go down.  I am excited that it appears there is a new day dawning for the community version of DNN.  Could anyone provide some information on key areas where help is needed for someone who is NOT a software developer?  Let me know!  And thanks to all of you who continue to carry the torch!!!

Veteran Member

Alex,

Super!

Perhaps one of the best ways to get started as an active participant is to get started with one (or more) of the Advisory Groups in the community. You'll find a menu entry under Community at the top of this page.

Perhaps the Awareness group is a good fit. Get in touch with Will Strohl for help becoming part of that group. Will shouldn't be hard to find, but let me know if you need help tracking him down.

Another place you can help is in testing upcoming and new versions of DNN. It's a vital task, and we really need more participants in that venue.

Hanging out here and in other venues is good. Pitch in when you have something to add.

Hopefully others will have some more (and even better) suggestions.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Joe, Thanks for the feedback. I will reach out to Will regarding the Awareness Advisory group. On the testing side, right now I only have a production server and will probably not upgrade until 9.4.1 comes out because of the issues (running 9.1.1 now). Looking forward to participating.

Advanced Member

Welcome Alex, we get the question 'How can I help' a lot, ultimately it depends on what you want and can help on. If you are not a developer but have good Dnn knowledge, testing and documentation is certainly areas where we could use help :)

Veteran Member

Posted By Alex Day on 19 Sep 2019 01:19 PM

I have been using DNN for a long time.  I have lived with people rolling their eyes when I tell them I use DNN and not Wordpress.  I have watched the community dwindle and the stats of websites using DNN go down.  I am excited that it appears there is a new day dawning for the community version of DNN.  Could anyone provide some information on key areas where help is needed for someone who is NOT a software developer?  Let me know!  And thanks to all of you who continue to carry the torch!!!

Cool!

I think the current best thing to do would be contribute to https://www.dnndocs.com/
            Checking and suggesting / applying improvements.

Growing Member

I have been hearing this question a lot.  It should be a topic possibly in the DNN Topics.  And when things get brought up a lot here or in the issues if there is some way to help get the answer put into a link that would be awesome for our community family of DNN users/developers.

Some sort of easy to do workflow that we all can simply understand.  And then help reference new people to the same.  Doing a reply post like this in my eyes is "Communty Support" and if you can give good feedback, insight on topics of discussion, a little can go a long ways.

It is about the team or family we have more than anything as I view this as an open source organization.  There is a chain of command or there would be no organization.  Worker bees have an important place in an organization eco system.  Reporting issues, assisting with support questions for users or even helping bring conversations or narative in the right locations such as forums or something to be added to dnndocs.com.

Right now for the fun of it I am looking at this list of DNN contributors  and thinking how can I move up closer to jungleboy, maybe one day take out zyhfish :)  ...   Forgive me as that is just some humor on my end as I probably did about all I can do with a few more things I am hoping I can help resolve if someone else does not do it first.  That makes me super happy when that happens I can't thank everyone enough for this latest RC seems very encrouraging.  I am still testing but nothing that isnt already reported as an issue, seems to be an issue.  I am starting to look at other parts of DNN to see how/if I can help more now which is fun.

For DNN Developers to help I think just make a fix and submit the PR for any bugs, enhancements or whatever you wish to work on.  It is a true free for all in that area everyon has their own self interests in the project.  If the community approval board for the project likes your PR it will get approved.  BUild code that wont introduce breaking changes and adds a feature or fixes a bug and it will get accepted.  I am living proof of that as i just finally after decade got my first PR's introduced into the DNN community edition.

Do what you can when you can if you can is my modo along with have fun with it.  It took 1000 different ways to successfully not make a light bulb.  Welcome to the family!

Advanced Member

That's pretty much the spirit of it :) Pick an issue you can solve and care about, scratch your own itch :) As long as it makes sense and does not break upgrades, submitting a PR even if not perfect will get you reviews if needed and we are here to help taking almost-good PRs to a state we are confortable merging into the platform. For larger work if you have hesitations, discuss it first to make sure to not waste time if there are concerns with the proposed solution.

Growing Member

How do I register my sitemap with google. I says to upload a text file to my http://www.domain.org/sitemap/ when I ftp in I can not find said sitemap folder or even a sitemap. I think the sitemap is generated on the fly? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Dale Graham struggling to justify dnn

Veteran Member

Take a look at this thread, at the end.

The sitemap is part of Site Settings.

You'll have a problem with the built in sitemap.aspx, though, because Google has quit accepting it. You need to submit sitemap.xml.

This thread -- https://dnncommunity.org/forums/aft/374 -- has a solution that puts a rewrite from sitemap.xml (or is it html?) to the aspx sitemap.

You'll need to go to google, give them the name that they want to see, and then DNN will rewrite and deliver the file to Google.

ps -- use a new thread for things like this, please.

Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group
                    You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved