DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

How to use licensed Telerik?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I recently upgraded to DNN 9.11.0, and the install couldn't remove Telerik as we have quite a few custom modules which use Telerik. I see that the Telerik version that is installed with DNN has security vulnerabilities. I have a developer license for Telerik. I want to to use the latest version of Telerik in my custom modules. Luckily, we used Telerik Controls directly. I see the notes and steps from this link: https://docs.dnncommunity...-removal/index.html. And the Note states:

This is an OPTIONAL setup step for DNN Platorm, but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. This is possible only in DNN 9.8.0 (and above for the 9.x series of releases). In DNN 10.x, Telerik removal will be forced, and no longer optional.

So, in my case, how do I go about using my licensed Telerik now so that when DNN 10.x gets released, it doesn't remove my licensed version of Telerik? Also, did anyone use licensed version of Telerik on their DNN site? If so, can you please provide some guidence of what you had to do to make it work?

Veteran Member

Hello Ana_Dana:  

There isn't a published path forward for what you're looking for, but I know it's possible.  The exact steps you need to take will need to be determined through some trial &error, testing, and POC work by a developer. 

The steps below are generic and may need to be customized for your needs and unique situation, but...  

In general, the way that you might need to approach this is to have a fork/version of your custom modules built against DNN 9.11.0 with newer versions.  If they're all v1.x right now, it would make sense to make them all 2.0 now.  These newer custom module versions should be built to use the latest version of telerik, integrated the way prescribed by their documentation.  

Now, follow the instructions to remove telerik, as you noted.  Perform all of the necessary steps.  

Next, upgrade DNN Platform to 09.10.02, then upgrade your custom extensions (which should now be using a newer version of telerik).  

Finally, upgrade DNN to 09.11.00 (or higher, as that's the most recent release right now).  

Now, I know you said you're already on DNN 9.11.0.  I don't know if that was in dev or something, but if you're already running DNN 9.11, then perform the other steps.  You may find that some steps might need to be done manually since DNN may already be upgraded to the latest release.  

Growing Member

Ana_Dana,
        we're using licensed Telerik controls for years now. Our development is on 9.2, client sites from 9.2 to 9.11.
        So, after every new installation or upgrade we have to copy the licensed Telerik dll's and tweak the web.config file.

Hopefully, after a new 10.0 installation that won't be necessary.

@Will, we had problems with our hosting provider a few years ago because of the Telerik controls included in DNN (old unsafe version). So, my question is: as the new (licensed) controls are safe why doesn't the DNN upgrade process detect file versions of those controls and remove them only in case they are the DNN (old) free version?

Kristian Radolović
        Quality In Quality Out d.o.o.

Veteran Member

I guess because nobody thought of that use case.
          I would suggest you create a ticket (or even better also a PR) for that as it seems like a valid use case.

New Around Here

I have also been using the licensed Telerik for years to my complete satisfaction. With an update, you just have to make sure that after you have copied the files you remove the Install\Module\Telerik_09.08.00_Install.zip before performing the update. In the latest DNN update versions, the file is no longer there and it will work fine by itself. Just did a test with the update from 9.11.0 to 9.11.1 and this went without problems.

Veteran Member

Posted By Kristian Radolovic on 2/20/2023 11:35 PM

Ana_Dana,
              we're using licensed Telerik controls for years now. Our development is on 9.2, client sites from 9.2 to 9.11.
              So, after every new installation or upgrade we have to copy the licensed Telerik dll's and tweak the web.config file.

Hopefully, after a new 10.0 installation that won't be necessary.

@Will, we had problems with our hosting provider a few years ago because of the Telerik controls included in DNN (old unsafe version). So, my question is: as the new (licensed) controls are safe why doesn't the DNN upgrade process detect file versions of those controls and remove them only in case they are the DNN (old) free version?

I'm not sure if it's actually a use case no one thought of, but if we look at the various conversations and needs we as a community can see here in the forums, in GitHub, etc., it seems not many people in the ecosystem are trusting and using Telerik these days.  So, accounting for it would have a bit less priority.  

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved