DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN 9.01.00 not loading pages after failed upgrade

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

After trying to Upgrade the DNN platform it failed and now I can't add a page to a site I get a blank screen

Things like recicly bin will load but when i switch back to pages i get this error 

The log has a bunch of errors like :

2023-02-17 12:45:08,301 [RD0003FFD19BFE][Thread:36][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Framework.Reflection - Dnn.PersonaBar.Pages.MenuControllers.PagesMenuController, Dnn.PersonaBar.Extensions
    System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Dnn.PersonaBar.Pages.MenuControllers.PagesMenuController' from assembly 'Dnn.PersonaBar.Extensions'.
       at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMarkHandle stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName, ObjectHandleOnStack type)
       at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)
       at System.Type.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
       at DotNetNuke.Framework.Reflection.CreateType(String TypeName, String CacheKey, Boolean UseCache, Boolean IgnoreErrors)

2023-02-17 12:45:08,394 [RD0003FFD19BFE][Thread:36][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Framework.Reflection - Dnn.PersonaBar.Users.Components.UsersMenuController, Dnn.PersonaBar.Extensions
    System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Dnn.PersonaBar.Users.Components.UsersMenuController' from assembly 'Dnn.PersonaBar.Extensions'.
       at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMarkHandle stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName, ObjectHandleOnStack type)
       at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)
       at System.Type.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
       at DotNetNuke.Framework.Reflection.CreateType(String TypeName, String CacheKey, Boolean UseCache, Boolean IgnoreErrors)
    2023-02-17 12:45:08,428 [RD0003FFD19BFE][Thread:36][ERROR] Dnn.PersonaBar.Library.Controllers.PersonaBarController - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: type
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
       at Dnn.PersonaBar.Library.Controllers.PersonaBarController.GetMenuItemController(MenuItem menuItem)

We tried to upgrade for 09.01.00 to the lastest version available and in the middle of the installation failed, and has never fully worked the same.

Here's a copy of today's log

2023.02.17.log.resources

Veteran Member

9.1 is quite a while back so there can be many things that took a wrong turn.
      I recommend getting to 9.3.2. first (https://docs.dnncommunity...ade-path/index.html) as there are some major things to be done.

And as with all upgrades::
      - make sure you have a back up
      - upgrade 3rd party modules/themes to the most recent.
      - if there are modules that are not compliant with the target DNN version, consider replacing of fixing them

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

I think your best option is to restore a backup and try again.
        It is advisable to uninstall all extensions you don't use any more and follow this path:

https://docs.dnncommunity...rade-path/index.html

New Around Here

the weird thing this is an App Service on Azure, I restored the backup as soon as everything failed and restored the database too thats the bizzare thing and nothing got properly fixed!

but I'll trythe upgrade path and see if that fixes some of our issues.

Veteran Member

Veteran Member

I would also suggest performing a stability check on the site after you restore it again, and before the next upgrade.  You'll want to be sure to run a virus scan, look for any unexpected files, edited core code files, etc.  

Also, I've covered a lot of the methods we use to avoid these kinds of issues in the presentation below.  

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved