DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Hacked Meta Title and Description

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

When I go into DNN and look at the meta title and description it is in English and reflects our site's needs. But Google is displaying all these Japanese characters promoting handbags. 

Does anyone know where I would look to change/fix this and how it happened?

The site is https://asbuiltcomfortcare.com/

https://www.google.com/se...sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Veteran Member

It looks like you will need to reclaim your Google Search Console ownership.  It seems someone has claimed your domain and hacked the search results as a result. 

This is not something unique to DNN or any other platform, by the way.  It's the result of one of the verification methods having been exploited in the Google Search Console. 

I'd recommend changing passwords on all infrastructure logins immediately as well.  

New Around Here

Thank you for this. The strange thing is I logged into Seach Console and ran Manual Actions and Security Issues and there are no reported issues. The sitemap.aspx I submitted looks good and I can't find any of the strange Japanese characters on the site or in the meta sections of the site.

Veteran Member

The content can very well be added to existing content. And in general content is not considered as 'being hacked' by automated tools.

If you find malicious content, you might want to check the version history. Chances are that you see an update being done by a user without a username. 

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Thank you for your input. 

New Around Here

So I ran a Google Mobile-Friendly Test and it showed me the HTML of the page, see the image attached. ]
              https://yourimageshare.com/ib/B6YVIf8KN2 . It shows all the Japanese text in the meta section of my site.
              But if I do a view page source on the same page in my browser the Japanese text is not there.
              Any idea how I get to this Japanese text and remove it?

Veteran Member

With the information we have, it simply appears that you need to re-verify your website in Google's dashboard.  I doubt you'll find anything wrong with the configuration of DNN itself. 

Instead, someone added the domain to their own account, and they had the ability to verify domain ownership in some way.  So, change all passwords to DNS, the web/database server(s), hosting control panel, and FTP.  Also, any email account that is connected to the Google account.  Then, delete and/or reclaim your website. 

It appears they did the same thing on their own account, and Google is ignoring your own settings right now.  So you can upload and changes things there all you want, but the Robots.txt and SiteMap.xml settings in their Google account are being respected and yours are ignored.  I'd even try reporting this to Google, if I were you.    

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved