DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Lose website formatting after mapping drive

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hoping someone can help. We are currently using DNN 7.x... on a live site (crossroadsrmc.com) and developing a new website using DNN 9.4.0. My IT guy has installed a fresh version of DNN 9.4.0 on a local server that I access through a VPN with the following...

• DNN 9.4.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2 VM, SQL 2012, installed using nvQuickSite 
    • DNN 9.4.0 on Windows Server 2016 VM, SQL 2017, manual install following DNN docs

Once the first server, bullet 1 above, was ready to go, I accessed it with the HOST credentials, and added our new theme from DNNgo, set up the logo, copyright, mapped the drive, etc... and went back into DNN and the DNN menu items were gone. If I clicked on the item in the uppper left corner, I saw the folder structure at the left of the page, no DNN menu items at the top.  

Having no idea what happened, my IT re-booted the server, which didn't fix anything, so he re-installed windows, etc... Same thing happened again. This time he started over and set up the server with the 2nd bulleted items above. Everything was back to normal, I installed the theme, uploaded a different logo, made some other suggested changes from YouTube, and began customizing the new DNNgo theme and mega menu. This is the farthest I got without the issue... Then I needed to see the path for a background image, and mapped the new drive on my local machine, didn't add any files, or change anything, went back to DNN and all formatting was gone, no DNN menu, just the folder structure in a vertical format down the left side.  I've included 3 images, showing the view. 

What are we doing wrong? I have mapped the drive to my current live site, and even an old test environment on with DNN 8 and never had any issues. We cannot figure out how mapping a drive could mess up DNN, or how the 2 things could possibly relate. I'm not the technical person, so I will need to pass questions/help to my IT person, so please include detailed info if you have any suggestions. Thank you so much for your time in advance.  

Sue Buchelt - Crossroads RMC

Veteran Member

"added our new theme from DNNgo, set up the logo, copyright, mapped the drive, etc..."

I may be a bit slow this morning, but you lost me at "mapped the drive, etc..."

Can you tell me some details about what you did after setting up the logo and copyright notice?
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Yes ... the 1st attempt, after setting up the logo and copyright, I uploaded the favicon, and went into File Explorer on my laptop and mapped the DNN server so I could access the DNN folder structure (\\server\share). I then went back to a open browser window, refreshed DNN, and the DNN menu was gone and when I clicked on what looked like the only link at the top left, it took me to a vertical menu without any formatting. I do not believe I have a specific photo of that view. I advised my IT guy, and he thought it was the theme, but I had not intalled the theme yet, so he re-booted the server, and when I went back in, it was still the same view. He re-installed everything back on to the server, and I started fresh again, logo, copyright, refreshing after each change to see if I could figure out the issue. I was able to upload the logo, change the copyright text, received a permission error when uploading the theme, but was quickly resolved by my IT guy, and successfully installed. I began working on the theme, added a couple pages, installed the DNNgo mega menu, uploaded an image or two, and realized that the theme was using a demo image that I did not have loaded, so I asked my IT guy for the new network share (\\server\share) to map to in File Explorer, so I could add a new image with the same name to that specific folder. 

As soon as I mapped the drive, I went back to my Chrome browser window, refreshed, I lost all the DNN/theme formatting again. This was the next morning, and I had not made any other changes that morning, just mapped the drive, and broke DNN. Is there some type of permission, or setting on the Windows server that doesn't like me accesses the folder struture through the VPN?

I work from home on my laptop, and connect to the DNN test site via a VPN. The only way I can access the DNN file structure is to map to it via File Explorer, that is my access to the folders. I also must be logged into the VPN to access the test site via a browser window because it is on a local server, not one that can be access via the Internet yet. 

New Around Here

It's fixed! I just mapped the network drive, and still have full access to DNN!

Here is a note from my IT guy!

"There was a permissions/authorizations problem. I don’t know why/how it ever worked.
          I tracked it down by trying to just load specific images, like: http://dnnx.xxx.jpg and got “HTTP 401 ERROR” (which is “not authorized”). It turned out I had to make a change in IIS (I had to set the Anonymous Authentication Credentials to “Application pool identity”), and then everything worked! 

I have no idea why mapping a network drive would all of a sudden cause it to blow up. Hopefully it will be stable from now on. You can even try mapping a network drive again. I’d like to know that it still works after that!"

Veteran Member

Great! I was about to tell you to look at permissions, and then I saw your post. And kudos to your IT guy for finding the problem.
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group
            You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved