DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Username Minimum Length

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi, I have been searching all over and haven't found anything for changing the minimum length for a username. I know dnn uses aspnet membership. I don't see anything in the web.config. I don't have anything filled out for the User Name Validation in the registration settings. I'm running dnn 9.4.1. Looks like right now it has to be 5 or more characters?

Thanks
    Cameron

Veteran Member

Yes, it appears to be 5. Googling around briefly didn't identify any settings for this. But, I did find some stuff that indicated that there may be some methods you can call to set it.

Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Has anyone discovered how to achieve this? I currently need usernames to have a 4 minimum character value but can't find where to change it.

Thanks

Veteran Member

Do you have ActionForm? That way you can create your own rules. I can imagine LiveForms does this as well. 

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Hi,

under Settings >> Security >> Member Accounts >> Registration Settings you can add a regex for the user name, e.g.

^.{6,}$

for 6 or more any characters.

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thanks Tycho, I'm going to reach out to them and see what they say.

New Around Here

Thanks Michael, I tried ^.{4,}$ but it didn't work. It still only accepts 5 or more.

Growing Member

Posted By Andy on 22 Dec 2020 04:55 PM

Thanks Michael, I tried ^.{4,}$ but it didn't work. It still only accepts 5 or more.

Per https://dnnsupport.dnnsof...ize-limit-in-DNN-9-2 it is hardcoded in 9.2 and above to require 5 or more

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved