DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Importing Users or Using an External DB with DNN 9.4

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi, I've got a userbase of about 40,000 users that is managed in an external customer management software. Each night I upload a user table to my DNN DB for import into the DNN users table. Up until now I was using DNN Masters User Management Suite to import the the data  but since 9.4 it's throwing errors and I'm looking for an alternative. DNNMasters.UMS

I'm looking for the following features:
    Import via SQL query
    Handle 40,000 records nightly using scheduler
    Ability to update existing records.

I've looked at a couple in the store:

Iowa Computers External DB Authenticator is OK but a bit minimalistic and seems to no longer be actively developed, I'm not even sure if its 9.4 compatible.

Data Springs Interactive Importer Module looks good but no updates or activity on their forums for years now so I'm dubious.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a module that could fit my needs?

Thanks

Michael

Veteran Member

Did you take a look at DNN Sharp scheduler? I think it could take care of the import for you.
      Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

Growing Member

Michael - I'm the developer for the External Database Authentication provider, it is still actively supported, but it doesn't really accomplish what you are looking for. As it is designed for authentication, not actually importing users into DNN etc. It doesn't see many updates due to the limited scope that it targets.

I think Tycho might have the best recommendation here.
        Mitchel Sellers
        Technology Advisory Group Leader
        CEO @ IowaComputerGurus, Inc. a DNN & .NET Solutions Provider
        Technical Blog: MitchelSellers.com

New Around Here

Tycho,

I'm intrigued by your suggestion, I use several of DNNSharp's modules and have been very happy with them.

I installed the trial of Scheduler and can see how I can authorize users and update profiles but I don't see any actions that would add a new user.

I would appreciate any insight you can offer thanks!

New Around Here

Mitchel,

Thanks for the update.  I used your module for many years prior to switching (Needed fancy profiles).

You may want to update the listing for the authenticator in the store.  Its hard to tell sometimes what plugins are still supported.

Michael

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved