DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN 9.1.1 -> 9.3.2

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Hi,

Am currently facing a problem trying to upgrade our DNN from 9.1.1 to 9.3.2 as suggested by the upgrade path.

After launching "https://127.0.0.1/Install...x?mode=upgrade" I got some exceptions because of multiple SharpZipLib.Dll instances. I deleted ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll and that seems to have fixed the error.

When launching it again, I get another exception in ReportsController.vb:

Exception type: HttpCompileException
        Exception message: D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\App_Code\Reports\ReportsController.vb(577): error BC30469: Reference to a non-shared member requires an object reference.
       at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.Compile()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()
       at System.Web.Compilation.CodeDirectoryCompiler.GetCodeDirectoryAssembly(VirtualPath virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet excludedSubdirectories, Boolean isDirectoryAllowed)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectory(VirtualPath virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet excludedSubdirectories)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectories()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallAppInitializeMethod()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException)

It is occuring when UserInfo is retrieved through the UserController:
    Public Sub ImportModule(ByVal ModuleID As Integer, ByVal Content As String, ByVal Version As String, ByVal UserId As Integer) Implements DotNetNuke.Entities.Modules.IPortable.ImportModule
                ' Check Access and Version
                Dim objUser As UserInfo = UserController.GetUser(-1, UserId, False) <--- Exception

Because of that error the upgrade aborts right at the beginning.

On a side node: Joe told me in another thread that there is a 9.4.1 version. Would that upgrade follow 9.3.2 or could I eventually go directly from 9.1.1 to 9.4.1?

Any hints and pointers are welcome.

Andreas

Veteran Member

Andreas,

my guess is that the SharpZipLib is an older version that is not compatible with .Net 4.7.2 - and also the Reports Module, did you install the newest version of it when upgrading? (https://github.com/DNNCom...leases/tag/06.01.00)

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Growing Member

Thanks a lot. That pinned the tail on the donkey.

I wasn't aware we had an old 4.x version of it installed written in VB and the current version is supposed to be written in C#. I uninstalled it and then installed the suggested version. However, somehow the VB files were still in the Reports folder and this folder was also referenced in the web.config. After removing that from web.config and deleting the folder the upgrade was working properly!

Now I ran into the next problem. Beginning with 9.3.2 the MLAdvAnnouncement module seems to fail. Up to 9.1.1 it was still working. Is there any replacement for it? Why isn't Eric providing any further updates of it? We made use of it in several places, because of its flexibility, not just for announcements. Should this get replaced with something HTML based? Maybe something bootstrap based like this one. Not as feature rich as MLAdvAnnouncement, for example no more XML feed, no more CRUD for items (create, read, update and delete) but easy to implement on the other hand and it could be styled to look the same. Or one could simply copy the HTML rendered by MLAdvAnnouncement using "Inspect Element" in the browser and temporarily use that.

Veteran Member

Andreas,

the old "Apollo" modules... well, you might know that Erik went over to the DNN Corp. somewhen, and that was the end of "his" modules. But he published some of them on Codeplex, and they went on to Github later, and some people took care about it for a while... but it seems that this one did not make it. :-(

The problem is: Using these modules becomes more and more unnecessary, as the localization feature (introduced with DNN 5.5 afair) works in the meantime. Therefore I fear, that there is not too much interest in maintaining them - do you have the source code? If yes, you could try to find a developer who can do something for you.

BTW: DNN changed to C# with version 6.0, and that is some days ago... (July 2011 :-))

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

Growing Member

I hope Erik had some type of agreement beneficial to him, for giving up the modules. :(

Unfortunately I don't have any source code of MLAdvAnnouncement. I don't know if we bought it with source, back then, when I wasn't in charge of the web site. But eventually Reflector could be used to port it.

Maybe, like you said, it makes more sense to look into some of the alternatives, like the native localization feature. MLHTML seems to still work properly though.

Somehow I missed the C# switch, but I appreciate that. During the day I am usually a C++ developer that just stepped out of his time machine. :)

Veteran Member

I'll just point out that you can still write modules in VB. No problem. Even if you aren't Erik VB!
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Andreas,

give me a couple of days, I can check if I have the source code or not - or ask Erik if he still has it somewhere...

I don't think that Erik had some beneficials from that - he just decided that he will not care about it anymore, and did the only thing reasonable by publishing them as Open Source (same thing happened with the Ventrian modules by the way). Therefore, if anyone still needs them he has the sources and can modify them when necessary.

Happy DNNing!
                Michael

Michael Tobisch
                DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                DNN Connect

Growing Member

Posted By Michael Tobisch on 16 Oct 2019 10:08 AM
                  Andreas,

give me a couple of days, I can check if I have the source code or not - or ask Erik if he still has it somewhere...

I don't think that Erik had some beneficials from that - he just decided that he will not care about it anymore, and did the only thing reasonable by publishing them as Open Source (same thing happened with the Ventrian modules by the way). Therefore, if anyone still needs them he has the sources and can modify them when necessary.

Happy DNNing!
                  Michael

That would be very nice. I would then try to get them to work on 9.3.2 and newer and report back. It seems to be the .net framework switch.

Posted By Joe Craig on 16 Oct 2019 10:07 AM
                  I'll just point out that you can still write modules in VB. No problem. Even if you aren't Erik VB!

Yes, very true, just a matter of taste, except for very tiny language differences that don't really matter. It all ends up as CIL byte code anyways.

Andreas++

Growing Member

I just tried to use the browser's Inspect HTML and then copy inner HTML command and replaced the module with a MLHTML one and it works and looks 100% as expected, with the exception of the XML button that turns into a print button for some reason.

I could keep a VM of our DNN version and make the changes there and then copy the HTML to the productive web site. Kind of funny but it works, at least temporarily until we have a working MLAdvAnnouncement again.

Andreas

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved