DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Virtual directory?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Greetings.  I have an old instance of DNN that we have used for our intranet for several years (I believe it is DNN4).  On it, we have virtual directories set up (pointed to shares on our file server) to allow users to browse certain folders.  I am trying to set up a new intranet site using DNN9 and I don't seem to be able to do this.  (I have created the virtual directories for the site using the IIS Manager, but I can't link them on a site page like we used to before.)  Can anyone offer any advice?

Dave

Growing Member

I'm using 8.0.3 and have no problems. I can't say for 100% certain but if they're set up correctly DNN shouldn't know the difference between a virtual folder or a real folder.

New Around Here

Did you just set up the link in a standard HTML module?

Veteran Member

Posted By Dave on 24 Oct 2019 10:26 AM

Greetings.  I have an old instance of DNN that we have used for our intranet for several years (I believe it is DNN4).  On it, we have virtual directories set up (pointed to shares on our file server) to allow users to browse certain folders.  I am trying to set up a new intranet site using DNN9 and I don't seem to be able to do this.  (I have created the virtual directories for the site using the IIS Manager, but I can't link them on a site page like we used to before.)  Can anyone offer any advice?

Dave

Did you sync the folder from the Asset Manager?

New Around Here

Posted By Timo Breumelhof on 25 Oct 2019 04:26 AM

Dave

Not exactly sure how to do that.  Every mention I find of syncing files/folders pertains to data that is held on the IIS server.  The folders in question reside on a separate file server.

Veteran Member

If the folders are set up correctly, then the DNN synchronization process should work just fine.

If there is a problem, you might want to take a look at Evotiva's Global Storage module for accessing a variety of remote files and bringing them into the DNN universe.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Posted By Dave on 25 Oct 2019 07:24 AM

Dave

Not exactly sure how to do that.  Every mention I find of syncing files/folders pertains to data that is held on the IIS server.  The folders in question reside on a separate file server.

Can you see the folder in Manage > Site Assets?
                If not try the option "Sync this folder & subfolders"

New Around Here

Posted By Timo Breumelhof on 27 Oct 2019 01:01 PM
                  Posted By Dave on 25 Oct 2019 07:24 AM

Dave

Can you see the folder in Manage > Site Assets?
                  If not try the option "Sync this folder & subfolders"

It is not listed in Site Assets, and no option to sync.

After adding the Virtual Directory to the site in IIS Mgr, I can right-click the Virtual Directory and choose "Explore", at which time the folder opens and I can see all of the files and folders of the remote directory.  However, if I put http://dnndev.me/RemoteFolder in the address bar of the browser, I get HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.  It is set up with pass-through authentication, and the user account I am logged-in with has full rights to the target location.

Veteran Member

Did you try accessing it anonymously as a test?

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved