DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

No EditBar after upgrade from DNN8 to 9.4.1

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

I am finally moving my sites from DNN8 to DNN9.4.1. After deleting some 10 years old and unused stuff, upgrade went through without issues.

However, the edit bar is missing on any site, any kind of skin. I can't see any hints in JS console or event log.

This has probably already been reported several times, but so far there is probably no solution published.

Has anyone an idea where to look for? Any extension which might be the cause?

Best regards,
    Stefan Cullmann

F# and DNN? A perfect match

Veteran Member

Maybe set one of the pages temporarily to an Xcillion theme and container, or create a test page that way, and see if everything works.

Have you removed references to ActionButtons in the container files?
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Joe, thanks.

I can exclude skins and containers as the cause, because they are tested in fresh installations. Nevertheless I did add a new page with Xcillion skin and container, and the editBar is still missing.

I'm afraid there's some kind of setting or extension from the last 10 years at play here.

Best regards,
        Stefan Cullmann

Veteran Member

And I guess not errors in the browser console?
          Did you try clearing portal.css (probably not the issue, but worth a try)?

New Around Here

Thank you Timo,

• There are no errors in browser console.
            • It is not a css thingy which hides the edit bar. It is not there. No div with a class editBarFrameContainer, nothing. 
            Best regards,
            Stefan Cullmann

Veteran Member

Posted By Stefan Cullmann on 28 Oct 2019 09:45 AM

Thank you Timo,

• There are no errors in browser console.
              • It is not a css thingy which hides the edit bar. It is not there. No div with a class editBarFrameContainer, nothing. 

ok, sorry you already wrote that I see now.

New Around Here

I have ran into this problem before and I don't know exactly what causes it, but a solution provided by Will Strohl has helped me many times in the past.

Try removing the folder

• DesktopModules\Admin\Dnn.PersonaBar\Resources

When you reload DNN it will regenerate this folder and the persona bar should work again. You can find the full history at the old Q+A section of the old site https://www.dnnsoftware.c...bar-not-displaying-1

This problem commonly happened when I moved a DNN instance from one server to another, or from a local machine to Azure

New Around Here

Andrew, I gave it a try.
                  Unfortunately, that doesn't help either. PersonaBar works for me, only that the EditBar to insert modules is not loaded when I click on the edit pen. All it does is to lock Edit mode.
                  Best regards,
                  Stefan Cullmann

New Around Here

My problem was focused more on the PersonaBar (left-bar) not loading right, haven't ran into the Edit Bar (bottom-bar) not working as you described.

If it was me, I would deploy a local backup onto my machine and delete the entire Persona Bar and grab the folders from a freshly installed DNN 9.4.1 instance. My guess is something got really corrupted or not installed correctly. It will be best to just delete the admin experience and start over.

Don't try this on a live production site, only do it on your backed up site because you may destroy your entire site

New Around Here

Posted By Andrew Hoefling on 29 Oct 2019 03:13 PM
                      Don't try this on a live production site, only do it on your backed up site because you may destroy your entire site

Haha, a lot of lessons learned in the past.

I have a copy of my production environment on VMs, listening to other aliases, and mostly isolated from the rest of the world. An I can go back to beginning again and again until the whole update runs smooth.

I will give it a try. I am currently debuging the JS. _Config.UserMode_ is always set to "Edit" instead of "View". Thats why clicks on the edit pen only enables/disables the edit locking. However, the edit bar still doesn't show up, in that case it should load on each reload, shouldn't it? 

Best regards,
                      Stefan Cullmann

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved