DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN internal CkEditor does not show up after update from DNN 734 to DNN932 Plattform

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello everyone,

my problem is related to an DNN-upgrade from 734 to 932 platform and the included HtmlEditor.

At version 734 i was using the DNN-provided Telerik-Editor in a module. This module consists of multiple WebFormUserControls which dynamicaly loaded or not, depending on user preferences. Those usercontrols containing one or two html-editors and are added to an asp.net-RepeaterControl during runtime.

Everything worked fine with the Telerik-Editor. 

But after the upgrade the new CkEditor does not show up. All I see is a custom options link when I am logged in as admin.

The Editor it self is working as expected in other modules on this DNN-website (e.g. I have added a html-editor-module). I also added a editor to a control inside the problematically module which is not added at runtime and everything works as expected.

I have noticed that if I am comparing the source code in browser developer tools with a editor that works normally, that there are lots of code lines missing. In my eyes those are responsible for registering the editor and doing some configuratino stuff for it. Imho the HtmlEditorProvider is not recognizing the dynamically added controls somehow. If I am investigating the elements, all I see is an empty paragraph on top of the custom option link for the CkEditor.

My question is, can I register the CkEditor in mentioned WebFormUserControls manually by calling a DNN-internal function for example (e.g. using the dnn api).

Unfortunatly googling did not help anyhow.

Any help is appreciated, Cheers Sebastian.

[Edit] P.S. As mention above I registered the CkEditor the old way (manually via JS-replace). Is there a way to get the portal-common CkEditor-settings from the database. I do like to over the admin to edit the settings for the editor via standard DNN-controls.

Veteran Member

I'm not a module developer, but normally when you use the DNN HTMLEditor provider  way of injecting the editor, you should be able to switch the DNN editor and it should still work. I suggest you have a look at how it's done in the Core HTML module?

Veteran Member

I posted your question on slack and the response was:

" The editors should not be pulled into modules directly, modules should either use the provider (then it uses the same editor as configured in Dnn) or they need to implement their own solution without depending on the Dnn ones "

HTH

New Around Here

He Timo,

thanks a lot for ur answer.

I am using the HtmlEditor just like a normal asp-control. Nothing special, and iam doing nothing with the HtmlEditorProvider.

The code is only . Thats all, very simple. It does not depend on what HtmlEditor is configured.

I have had also proofed that it will work this way in this module, by putting it on a "static"-UserControl. 

You wrote "I suggest you have a look at how it's done in the Core HTML module". Can you point me to where I might find this code?

Until now i just copied the client side source code from developer tools from browser. It works but i'd like to load the configuration from dnn internal HtmlEditorprovider.

New Around Here

Thx a lot, but in the moment I get a "The Service is unavailable".

New Around Here

@Timo Any help on loading the link above?

New Around Here

Can u provide me another link? One week ago and I still get the error I mention above.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved