DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

"?cdv=", what is it for and how can I modify it?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Hi All,

A little new to the platform's intricacies, thanks for reading my question.

One of our tasks is to make sure to update jquery and bootstrap on our existing DNN.

Our DNN site lives in Azure, and I have navigated to each instance of jquery and bootstrap.

I noticed that in our site, I am getting an error that says 
    "Uncaught Error: Bootstrap's JavaScript requires jQuery version 1.9.1 or higher, but lower than version 3
        at bootstrap.min.js:6
        at bootstrap.min.js:6"

Upon looking at chrome inspector, I noticed that at the end of the bootstrap call there's an "?cdv=134" query parameter in the url.
    (/Portals/_default/Skins/(path)/js/vendor/bootstrap.min.js?cdv=134)
    upon visiting it's the old instance of bootstrap. If I remove the "?cdv=" query or change the number, I now see my updated bootstrap file.

How exactly do I remove/ change the cdv value? 

I am using DNNv 9.1.1

Advanced Member

That parameter is the "Client Dependency Version", which is used to allow cache-busting of resources when there's a change. To update the version so that the change is widely visible, you'll want to go into the Servers page of the Persona Bar, and select the Server Settings tab and then the Performance sub-tab. At the bottom of the Performance page, there's a Client Resource Management section, and an Increment Version button.
      DNN partner specializing in custom, enterprise DNN development https://engagesoftware.com/showcase

New Around Here

Is this somethingthat I modify in sql? I noticed that every time I modified the jquery and bootstrap file, there's a new cdv version that appears, split by a colon

New Around Here

Hi Brian,

I see it, thank you for the guide.
          So in essence, every time I modify files on azure itself directly, I should go in here and increment the version correct?

Advanced Member

Yes. Installing extension packages into DNN will automatically increment the version, but if you're manually changing files that are served via the Client Resource Management API, you'll want to increment the version manually.

That said, manually editing files that come with DNN can create problems further down the line, because upgrades to DNN can overwrite your changes. In this case, you can install newer versions of the JavaScript Libraries that these scripts come from. If you go to https://github.com/Engage...JavaScript-Libraries and click on the "build passing" badge at the top of the README, it'll take you to the latest build of our JS Libraries, and you can navigate to the Artifacts from that build to find, e.g. jQuery 3.4.1 and Bootstrap 4.3.1. Note that the new jQuery library will override DNN's built-in jQuery, but the theme is probably not using a JS Library version of Bootstrap.
            DNN partner specializing in custom, enterprise DNN development https://engagesoftware.com/showcase

New Around Here

Hi Brian,

I have updated the version number via the interface you mentioned above. Thanks. 
              However, when I try updating the site, we get an error saying "Please enable cookies" thru cloudflare.
              Is this something you've ever experienced before?

Thanks I found the artifacts.
              How do you properly update it to the dnn site however?

I'm trying to glean from the logs and noticed (collecting) and (Uploading) but there are no traces of the filepaths...
              Also which files exactly do we copy over?

I sincerely appreciate the assistance

Advanced Member

Each of those zip files in the Artifacts is an installable package, you install it the same way you would install a module or theme (via the Extensions page in the Persona Bar)

New Around Here

Hi Brian, thanks I have the artifacts now.

However upon trying to upload the Bootstrap one in extensions, I get the error "popper.js not installed"
                  Do you have an artifact that includes that?

New Around Here

Oh sorry, never mind saw it in the artifacts

New Around Here

Hi Brian, 

I updated the sites using the method you mentioned (*cog icon*-> Extension-> Install Extension)

However, for one of the sites the install apparently didn't work..
                      The webpage was referencing juery 3.4.1, but there was actually no files that were added to the site.

This has caused even the other dnn tools to disappear, as I believe they are making use of juery

I have since supplied the missing updated juery file, however the site still points to an empty location
                      because of the ?cdv= query...

since I cannot access dnn persona bar, is there any way to update the content version by other means please?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved