DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN as Azure App Service

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello, I'm trying to get DNN up and running on Azure.  The site was built locally and with my Azure account, I created an App Service.  The DNN website files were uploaded to Azure.  I also have a SQL Server instance on Azure.  I am getting this error in the DNN log file:

2019-11-01 00:04:16.629+00:00 [RD00155D7DD486][D:2][T:7][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Common.Initialize - The connection to the database has failed, however, the application is already completely installed, a 500 error page will be shown to visitors

In Azure, I have granted the App Service rights to the SQL Server database in the firewall settings (adding the IP of the App Service under Firewall rules).

I also changed the web.config connectionStrings/SiteSqlServer node to point to the Azure SQL Server.  I am able to connect to the Azure SQL server successfully with the same credentials I have in the web.config file.

Is there anyone out there that has been able to get DNN running as an App Service in Azure?  If so, any ideas what I may be missing?

Thanks, Al

New Around Here

This info is a bit old, but most should still be valid: https://www.dnnsoftware.c...osoft-azure-websites

And there are some YouTube videos that cover this too.  

New Around Here

Did you ever figure out the solution to the error: 

DotNetNuke.Common.Initialize - The connection to the database has failed, however, the application is already completely installed, a 500 error page will be shown to visitors

We are on our 4th day trying to solve and our setup is very similar (Azure App Service, DNN) - can connect through SQL server managment Studio, connection strings are fine in the diagnostic tools....Client IP of App allowed in SQL...totally at a loss for what is wrong.

Do you have any suggestions on how you fixed the error?

Growing Member

Similarity here maybe. We installed DNN as an Azure Web App using 9.3.2 and had months of problems around the database connections. It was a plain and simple installation of a fresh DNN. Technical support eventually helped construct a work around (two databases synchronised in case one fell over), but the core problem was not fixable (unless Redmond development got involved I guessed). We had serious backing up problems as in it wasn't reliable or even worked on occasions. Eventually we couldn't do a full back up because even though DNN worked fine with its seperate SQL database, Azure told us there was no database connected and so wouldnt back up. Long story short, you might delete the subscription and all that goes with it,then create a new subscription using a different Azure location. Thats what we are cuurrently intending to do.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved