DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Install Fun

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Growing Member

Sorry, just trying to get to grips with this.

Looking in the roles table, superuser has an id of -2. The host only has 3 roles assigned

1 - Registered Users

2 - Subscribers

0 - Administrators

It does have isSuperUser as 1, should it also have the role assigned as well, or does it have this auto assigned if the IsSuperUser = 1, If I 1 to the IsSuperUser in users for my account, this wontt let me run the upgrafe, really stuck with this at the moment..

Also, I cannot assign superuser via the portal for users, as this does not come up in the list of avaiable roles to add.

Veteran Member

A host user is a special user and only needs IsSuperUser = 1

How to Create a SuperUser in DNN, when you only have File and DB access

1. Set Portals user registration to 2 in the [Portals] table
      2. Restart the website from ISS manager or edit web.config and save it
      3.  Visit www.mysite.com/register.aspx
      4. Create a user
      5. Set IsSuperuser to True in the [Users] table in the database.
      6. Re-set Portals user registration to the original value in the [Portals] table

Growing Member

Thanks for that, I have manahged to get the registration screen up, however, when I press register, i get

I am guessing i need to set something else as well ro be able to do this.

Veteran Member

I would first check if the user is registered or not.
          There's a "redirect after login / registration" page that could be the issue here.

Growing Member

Looks like it is created, but then can't login using it, so think that is a bust.

Have managed to get access to the Create user page in the original app, so have created one there, backed up and restored the database to my test server, but am now having issues agian with the install, so need to have a look at that again.

Growing Member

So sorted out the issue with the install, and still no luck on the new user set to be a super user.

Totally stumped now.

Growing Member

For Frack sake.

The log viwer on the live site is showing me logging in as a super user, yet, when i copy the db to my test site and try and log on using the same credentials on the upgrade screen for 9.4 ir says one of the user/pasword is incorrect, how can you test this on a staging server without being able to log into the damn thing.

I can't download anywhere a version of 7 to add to new server to get my current one working on that, the upgrade wont work what the hell am I doing here?

Veteran Member

I can understand this can be frustrating the first ime as there are many variable, but most likely you are missing something.
                  We copying sites (db and filtes) for upgrade all the time and they do work.
                  Actually I moved 2 today from one server to the other wihout much issues
                  (we in general do have the host password though ;-).

You can even download any DNN version from github.

https://github.com/dnnsof...eleases?after=v9.0.0

Veteran Member

You cannot copy a DNN 7 DB to a DNN9 install and expect it to work.
                    The passwords are not stored as plain text in the DB for security reasons.
                    And there are many DB differences

Growing Member

So if I do an update from 7 to 8.1 then thriugh those one at a time, that may work?

As for the passwords, are you saying that in 7, as they are not saved in plain text i simply cant do a single step upgarde, but maybe if I go through the 8's I may get this to work?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 2 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved