DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Install Fun

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Veteran Member

I have no idea why you are having login problems. You should be able to do an upgrade without losing passwords.

Were you able to login before you did the upgrade?

Did you do any edits to web.config after the upgrade?

Please describe, again, the process you used to do the upgrade and also the DNN versions.

Here is a thread that discusses upgrades. I'd follow Will Strohl's suggestions. And don't forget to make a backup after each step, in the event that you need to go back one step if there are errors.
    Joe Craig
    DNN MVP
    Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Posted By Jeffwest1 on 15 Nov 2019 11:14 AM

So if I do an update from 7 to 8.1 then thriugh those one at a time, that may work?

As for the passwords, are you saying that in 7, as they are not saved in plain text i simply cant do a single step upgarde, but maybe if I go through the 8's I may get this to work?

Ok, I might have misunderstood you.
      I read you copied a DNN7 DB to an installation of DNN 9.
      I guess that's no correct.

Growing Member

Timo

Yes, I am trying to move a 7 install to 9.4.

Tried using a 8.0.4 upgrade, this is currently giving me connection to database failed.

Joe

Interms of what I have done.

I did as you suggested before, so I took a copy of the database, and a copy of the website and moved these both to a new server.

The only thing I have changed in the web.config was changing the server for the database. 

Using 9.4 upgrade files I copied this over the old website files, this opens the upgrade window, but as I do not have the host password it doesn't let me run the upgrafe. I have tried creating a new user before moving the database, assigning this as a superuser in the database, then copying the database to the new server, but this user always fails with user or password incorrect. so still not allowing me to do the upgrade.

Growing Member

Ok, so Have managed to move this on a little bit this morning.

Having deleted everything I did on Friday, database, users in DB, all old files copied from current server and deleted the App pool and website from the test server, and started from scratch, I have managed to get the 7.02.02 upgrade to 08.00.04 running, but this seems to be hitting a snag again..

25% Erroir - access denied to \\....\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\07.03.00.SqlDataProvider'

I have given the path Network Service permissions, and full control, i have manually checked the file is there and it opend it notepad without an issue=, (Not saved this after opening).

I did try this a second time, just to see if this was a blip, but again it failed at the same point.

Growing Member

A further update to this, I still have not got this working.

I tried to see if moving further down to 7.4 might work, this gives me a totally different set of errors, so i went back to 8.0.0

I am still getting the same error as before, so again I am in the position of not being able to do this.

Is it really a case of having to upgrade through each version from 7.2.2 all the way to 9.4 to get this working, the code in 7.4 is not based around an upgrade package, but just source code, so I assume this is a case of copying over the website files with the new ones an hoping it comes up with the upgrade screen,is there not an easier way of doing this so it works first time, every time?

Growing Member

After much fiddling I have got the 07.04.02 upgarde working, but again errors

The folder has Network Service permissions, as does the entire folder, app pool as default permissions, but as it must be doing something it has the correct ones.,

Growing Member

sao, I have finally got 1 upgrade to work 7.4.1, and now I have a new error DNN Error.

I have checked the permissions on the database, all are good, I have checked all the folders, permissins are good, I have restered the server, I have restarted both the site and the app pool, anything I have missed?

Veteran Member

This does look like an NTFS rights issue.
                  Why are you setting permissions for NETWORK user, normally you would only have to set rights for the AppPool user.
                  Also sometimes it helps to enforce the rights over the folder structure.

Growing Member

Timo

NETWORK SERVICE was what was said in one of the many docs I have read on upgrading DNN, it says numerous times to making sure this is set.

some suggestions around the old forums also said about ISS_USRS and IISUSRS, again I have set all of these.

Digging through the log files, and again taking suggestions from various forum threads, i remoived all the dll's from the bin folder and have added them back in, and have an issue with the PortalSettingsController, which, again from the forums, say I have to run a SQL script to correct this, which i have just run and this still happens.

Growing Member

I dont know if this helps, but here is the stack trace.

2019-11-19 12:30:03,906 [SERVERNAME][Thread:9][FATAL] DotNetNuke.Framework.PageBase - An error has occurred while loading page.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettingsController.ConfigureActiveTab(PortalSettings portalSettings)

at DotNetNuke.Framework.DefaultPage.InitializePage()

at DotNetNuke.Framework.DefaultPage.OnInit(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

2019-11-19 12:30:03,937 [SERVERNAME][Thread:9][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - ~/Default.aspx?error=terminate

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettingsController.ConfigureActiveTab(PortalSettings portalSettings)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

2019-11-19 12:30:03,968 [SERVERNAME][Thread:9][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 3 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved