DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Install Fun

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Veteran Member

Jeff,

The IIS User that runs the website is the user that needs to have full permissions on the DNN website directory.

If you go to the IIS App Pool that is assigned to your website and look at its Advanced Settings, you will see that one of the settings is Identiy. Who is it?

Normally this would be set to ApplicationPoolIdentity, though you can have other choices. The Application Pool Identity is the Name of the application pool.

So, go to the website folder and grant full permissions to IIAppPoolIdentity\xxyyzz, where xxyyzz is the name of the app pool. You'll know you have that right when the name is accepted by the Permissions thing. Make sure that you track down and insure that the permissions are applied recursively to all files and folders in the website folder.

Check a few files and folders to make sure that the permissions are correct. Don't just trust that they are.

(That last bit is a key. I just fought for a couple of days with a site for which that wasn't done, and I wasn't alert enough to check the "simple" issue.)
    Joe Craig
    DNN MVP
    Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Hi Joe

POk, so looking in the security properties, having created the site via NVQuicksitem the application pool has been given the default name, which isn't in the list of avaiable users/groups etc for me to add permissions to the folder, si I am guessing this is the issue.

I have IUSR and IIS_IUSRS but nothing else.

Growing Member

Hi Joe

Ok, so got that sorted, but still not working, still getting the same error. 

Veteran Member

If you used nvQuickSite to create the website, then the ApplicationPoolIdentity user should have be given permissions for the website directory as part of the install process. When you look at permissions, just the Name should be shown as the user.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Posted By Jeffwest1 on 19 Nov 2019 07:14 AM

Timo

NETWORK SERVICE was what was said in one of the many docs I have read on upgrading DNN, it says numerous times to making sure this is set.

some suggestions around the old forums also said about ISS_USRS and IISUSRS, again I have set all of these.

These must have been either old threads or not recently updated documentation.
            You  can use those too but the "best practive" way is the App Pool User

Growing Member

So again I have gone back to the start.

Created the site, deleted from the website folder everything, add my old site, then copied over the 7.4.1 update files, ran the site, and I get the same error.on screen, and the same errors in the log file.

I have changed no permissions on the folder, and made no other than the re-point to a new database via the web.config.

Veteran Member

And in the fodler security you don't see a user with the name of the application pool?

If not from the folder secirity tab:

1. Click Edit
                2. Click Add
                3. Type: iis apppool\"apppoolname"
                4. Click [Check Names]
                5. Windows should find the user, if not you made a typo
                6. Click [OK]
                7. Check [Modify]
                8. [OK]

Growing Member

Hi Timo

Yes I do see that and it has full permissions on the folder.

Veteran Member

Posted By Jeffwest1 on 20 Nov 2019 03:33 AM

Hi Timo

Yes I do see that and it has full permissions on the folder.

Ok and the error you have now is " Object reference not set to an instance of an object "?

Growing Member

Hi Timo

Yes, when I look in the log file,

I create the site via nvQuickSite, I open this once created to confirm all is good, I am using the 7 platform

I close that down and after removing the created website files, not the folder, and adding my old one, then copying into the same folder the upgrade files, then i recycle the AppPool, and restart the site, then open the site, it gives the error everytime.

I have done all of this again this morning including taking a fresh copy of my curent site.

Last time I tried this yeaterday I also ran two DNN Turbo scripts, but they made no difference.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 4 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved