DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Install Fun

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 512345 > >>

Growing Member

I am new to DNN, I have to look at seeing if I can upgrade our current system based on a version7 Dotbetnuke, to a newer version DNN.

I have dowloaded 9.4.1 of the patform, and have created a brand new database on a server.

Following the steps to get a website up and running doesn't work, no matter how many times I create it, so instead I am running the website from within Visual Studio 2018.

The install runs fine, until 54% ERROR:Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.AuthCookies_Update, I am not sure what is going on here.

The database is being populated with tables and Sp's as I would expect, so the user and password are correct.

It is a new install of the platform, not trying to upgrade an existing version, as I want to be able to test some of the modules we do not have active in the old version. I could really do with the help here.

Veteran Member

Always good to create a test install.
      I would not install DNN form VS, that only needed whne you are going to make core modifications.

What are the issues you have when installing the through the install package?
      (and what steps did you follow)
      Mostly these are IIS / DB config issues BTW, not DNN issues.

You can also use NvQuickSite, which does most of the work for you: https://www.nvquicksite.com/

Veteran Member

Jeffwest1,

welcome to the DNN Community!

I know it's a bit confusing when you install DNN for the first time, and there are some pitfalls, esp. when you miss a line in a description (as with every other piece of software) - or someone has forgotten to put that line in the documentation, as it seems to be too basic for him :-).

Anyway, thanks to our community member David Poindexter, there is a really great solution for setting up a DNN site that leads you through the installation process and is doing (quite) everything necessary. It is called nvQuickSite (https://www.nvquicksite.com/), and it's free - and I recommend to give it a try. Yes, it can be that easy!

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Growing Member

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

Oddly I have just been trying nvQuicksite, and when I try and run it, I hit a snag at the database screen, it give me loads of errors, maily around creating a database.

I have created a blank database, and am trying to use that, I have created a user that has ownerpermissions on that database, so what I don't understand with that is why is it still trying to create a database?

I am only trying this locally on my laptop, using a test server I have, neither will run the database portion, so cannot continue any further, I have tried all version in the drop down, and all give the same error. 

As to the other question.

I followed one of the guides, so I created a blank database, with the user for it, with owner permissins.

I created in IIS a DNNwebsite, with the www.dnndev.me as host name, and pointed this to the folder where i placed all the files from the aip file, giving this folder NETWORK SERVICE full permissins, this never runs, either i get page not found, DNN Error database not found, or errors around integarted/vlassic mode not being valid, using net framework 4.5 - 4.7.2.

This is why I added the source code to VS to see if that would run it, it does, but as I say, this stops at 54% everytime.

I have looled through all the docs I can find, and didn't think I missed anything, so any help with this would be really =gratefully accepted.

Growing Member

Ok, so have managed to run the nvquick install locally, and this has created the DB and the IIS wevserver as well YYAAHH

I have loads of questions about setting up a new site setting moudules to live, as well as moving pages from our old version to this new one, but guess I need to read through the docs to get most of this stuff.

Veteran Member

If you are trying to upgrade an existing site, then I would recommend making a copy of the site, installing it locally, and following the upgrade process.

Installing locally can be simplified by doing another nvQuickSite install, and then restoring the live database there. Delete the web directory, and copy the live web directory there. You will need to do some edits to the web.config file to connect it to the database.

Also, it's probably easier if, before copying the live website, add a portal alias. That will save you the step of editing the database to add a portal alias.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Thanks Joe, will give that a go and see what happens.

Growing Member

Ok, so, I have done as Joe suggested, and this has triggered the upgrade screen.  The host password has been lost in the mists of time, so i have updated this from the database with a new one, but when i click on the upgrade now button, nothing happens.

I though this was me, so i stripped everything out and have redone it from scratch, but again this morning, nothing.

A red banner saying not valid password doesn't come up, so it must be ri=ght.

What Have I missed.?

Veteran Member

Jeffwest1,

You can't just copy the hash from another intstallation. The hash is created using the machineKey (which is unique for each installation) and the salt (whic is unique for each user).

Best way to go would be: register yourself with a new user (eg. HostNew)

Then go to the database (using SSMS) and find the Users table (this could be named Users, or having an objectQualifier Prefix, something like dnn_Users). Update the new user's record by setting the value of "IsSuperUser" to 1. Then restart the Application Pool in IIS manager.

Now you can use the new host's credentials for the update.

Happy DNNing!
                    Michael

Michael Tobisch
                    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                    DNN Connect

Growing Member

Hi Michael.

Thanks for the response

I have been tasked with upgrading this, as we need to move this to another server as soon as possible, and am trying to test what happens during the upgrade on this.

The issue i have is that I am testing this on another server, I do not have a copy of the install for 7.2.2 to be able to run this first and run the current site to add a new user, and cannot run the test on the live server.

The application doesn't have a register option, as usres are added directly into the application via the admin screen as that is how it was set up initially by people who are no longer in the business, and as I can't create the old platform on the test server, not sure how to proceed with this test.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 512345 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved