DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Understanding how to use a DNN instance with multiple sites

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

How does mulitple sites work for DNN CE since the users all share the same instance and there is no seperation between sites and users.

If I register on one site it goes on all sites Users.

Would that user then be able to log into all sites on the DNN instance?

I guess I am looking for a pretty clear understanding of how to allow or not allow users to log into different sites on a portal.  I know site groups was one way, but if they are all "one website" so to speak why have site groups.  What is the goal there because a DNN instance is sort of a site group.  Not enough separation between sites to give each user and site independence from eachother.

If a user registers on one site, then visits another one that is not affiliated with the one they already registered they wont be allowed to register if you need unique emails.   At the same time they wont know they can even log in as it was a first visit.

I remember people talking about 600 websites on installation... what happened to that?  Does it still work?  What type of configurations will give you what results I suppose I am asking, and if anything changed in respects to this?

Thank you.

Veteran Member

Hi,

Actually when a user registers, only a small part of the data is stored globally.
      As long as the user is not in the PortalUsers table, he will not be able to login to a portal.
      So you can share a user between portals, but by default that's not the case.
      The disadvantage of this is that as soon as a username is in use in one portal, you cannot use it in another one unless you enter exactly the same UN/PW combo.

In that case the user in the Users table will be used and a record added to the PortalUsers table.

HTH Timo

Growing Member

Hello Timo!

So what could be improved here to make things better if needed? From my understanding the profile wont follow them but the Username and Password is from site to site in a DNN instance?

Veteran Member

Posted By Cody on 14 Nov 2019 11:08 AM

Hello Timo!

So what could be improved here to make things better if needed? From my understanding the profile wont follow them but the Username and Password is from site to site in a DNN instance?

Not sure. I think this works fine. I don't think the "limitation" is really an issue TBH.
          And it's good that as an admin you can add a user to multiple portals, although there's not interface for that.

Growing Member

How can you host 200 sites separately if the sites use the same users that get registered on different sites for all sites. This should be for site groups, not individual sites. Each user should be IMO linked to the site they joined only, unless it is a part of a site group.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved