DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Migrate to Windows Server 2019 and SQL 2019

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Advanced Member

I am currently building a new environment for my DNN sites and it will run Windows Server 2019 + SQL 2019. Are you aware of any issues with this?

Mariette Knap
    Microsoft MVP Alumni

Advanced Member

I have finished testing but have not found any issues. Now looking for a good reason to migrate...anyone?
      Mariette Knap
      Microsoft MVP Alumni

Veteran Member

Advanced Member

I have done a lot of testing and comparing. I cannot see a reason to upgrade or migrate to 2019. It feels slower and there is hardly a difference in functionality. The only nice new feature (?) in IIS is some setting that allows you to enable HTST but we can do that already using URL Rewriter module.

I was looking for TLS 1.3 support but is still not included in 2019

Mariette Knap
          Microsoft MVP Alumni

New Around Here

(Not a reply, but a question.)
            Looking to find out what is the latest version of Sever&SQL DNN 9.5+ can Run on?
            The official(?) sheet has Server 2016. But from this post it looks like Mariette was successful with 2019.
            I need my network team to spin up a new server for me and would like to go as far as possible.
            Thanks, CD

New Around Here

I recently upgraded to Windows Server 2019 (but kept SQL Server 2014) without problems. Although there seems to be an issue when recycling the IIS apppool, causing the DNN website to hang for several seconds and returning 503 errors to the users. But I'm quite sure it's not DNN related. When migrating to Win2019 we went from one Win2008 server to splitting web server and database into 2 virtual servers. So there's a lot of other potential causes of this issue.

Regarding the question of WHY to upgrade. It depends on which version you are upgrading from. I went from 2008 on an old server to 2019 on a brand new server. 2008 is not supported anymore, so that's the main reason. I wouldn't bother upgrading from Win2012+ to Win2019 on the same server.

Regarding TLS, HTST, compression etc., you can easily achieve that by using fx. Cloudflare in front of your server.

But a couple of nice new features compared to Windows Server 2008 R2 is: wildcard SSL certificates and support for Docker containers. I'm running Solr (search engine) as a container now instead of installing and maintaning Java etc. on the server.

Veteran Member

Hi,

This AppPool problem can propably be solved by enabling preloading. See https://docs.microsoft.co...tialization for more information.

Happy DNNing!
                Michael

Michael Tobisch
                DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thanks Michael,

Maybe it can help. I'll give it a try. However, the same website it worked fine without preloading / "application initialization" before (in IIS 7.5) and I would expect it to work in the same way in IIS10....it should definitely not throw errors like this.

But I'll give it a shot.

Veteran Member

Hi,

IIS 7.5 did not support preloading out of the box, so if you haven't installed this module, it would not have worked - or you installed it and didn't change the settings on IIS 10.

Another way to solve this was something I described in a blog some years ago: https://www.dnnsoftware.c...-on-your-web-server. Maybe you had some script like this running on the old server, and did not install it on the new one...

Happy DNNing!
                    Michael

Michael Tobisch
                    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                    DNN Connect

New Around Here

Wow everyone, great conversation.

For ourselves, don't know why we'd "need" server 2019; other than to delay any server upgrades later.
                      I'll be sharing this info with the team. Thank you!
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved