DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN 9.4, not showing BG image in child pages.

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

DNN 9.4, Skin, Bootster V2, BG image not showing in child pages, but showing perfectly in parent pages. Any pages that reside under a parent page, is not displaying the background image, but in the source code, it's commanding it. Is there a setting that I missed or something?

Veteran Member

Can you check the site with your browser's developer tools to see what is happening?

How are you specifying the image?
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Hi again Joe, and thanks for helping me again.
        Ok, I originally had the BG image added to the home.ascx and skin.ascx files, in  the following code;

<style type="text/css"><br /> body {
          background-image: url('images/bg2.jpg');
          background-attachment: fixed;
          background-size: 100%;
        }
        </style>

This worked perfectly for all pages that are in the main menu, but any pages that were in dropdowns (child pages), were not displaying the BG image. Just a little while ago, I removed the code from the home and skin.ascx files and added it directly to the page settings/advanced/SEO -->> page header tags, this again work perfectly for the parent pages, but no luck with the child pages. The Background for the child pages are still just plain white. 
         (Hope this makes sense)

Growing Member

<style><br /> body {
            background-image: url('images/mark-bg1.jpg');
            background-attachment: fixed;
            background-size: 100%;
          }
          </style>

Growing Member

**The line break tag is not in the code. I don't know why the reply editor keeps adding that.

Growing Member

Veteran Member

Jeff,

One of the tricky things about writing CSS is to make sure that references actually point to where you want them to point.

You need to learn how to use your browser's developer tools so that you can inspect, not the code that you wrote, but the code that is delivered to your screen. If you do that, I'm sure that you'll find that the url for the child pages background image is not what you expect it to be. That's because the code for the child pages has a url that includes the parent page and, as a result, the image url does. too.

That's because your image references are relative links, so DNN has to decide "relative to what."

If you use the developer tools, this should become quite clear, and lead to to better ways to make the references.

By the way, it's really not a good practice to put CSS directly in skin or container files, or even in HTML content. Instead, put class references and put the CSS in appropriate CSS files.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Ok, You just nailed it! Turns out, it was the image URL that was causing the problem! Thank you so much! And yes! I am learning all I can about the tools and how to do everything!

Again, Thank you very much!

Veteran Member

If you are building web sites and not using browser developer tools, stop what you are doing now and learn to use them!
                    Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

I've been doing exactly that. I never knew how helpful that is.
                      Thank you so much.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved