DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Need help upgrading 7.1.1 to 9.4.4

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi, we're a small software company that uses DNN to power our "software as a service" website. But we're not DNN experts, we're only barely competent at administering the website. Those who built the website are long gone, so no one remaining knows how anything was done, or why it was done that way.

We're badly overdue for an upgrade, but we've had problems trying to upgrade in the past.  What we really need is a short-term contract with a DNN expert who can show us how to upgrade, who can help to fix any problems caused by an upgrade, etc. 

Ideally such a person would be located in/near Atlanta, GA, but we're flexible on that.

Is there anyone out there interested in being our DNN consultant?

Veteran Member

I'm not in the Atlanta area, but I'd be glad to help.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks Joe, we may take you up on that!

We're planning to attempt an upgrade this weekend (on a test system that's a copy of production), so by next week we should have some specific issues to ask about.

Veteran Member

My best advice would be to see if you can get to the final version of DNN 8 (8.0.4 or is it 8.0.5) make a good backup of that and test the heck out of it before proceeding.

(That should be a relatively easy upgrade, unless you have some custom modules that could break things.)
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Yeah, that was our general plan. We have quite a number of 3rd-party modules, so I'm expecting problems with some of those.

We tried upgrading a copy of production several years ago, and it "worked" - but the screens were all messed up (I don't recall the details), so I'm expecting that to happen again. More recently, a test upgrade just got stuck - we unzipped the files over the existing system and ran foo.com/upgradewizard.aspx (or whatever it is), and it ran for a while and then got stuck at like 37%.

Is there a log file or anything we can look at to see what it was doing when it got stuck?

Veteran Member

I can't recall if 7.1.1 uses log4net, but look and see if portals/_default/logs exists. If it does, you'll get information there. You can also edit the log4net config file (google for details) to get maximum information logged.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

So this time when we tried upgrading to 8.0.4, the upgrade completed - but now the site gives HTTP 500s (Internal Server Error) no matter what page we go to.

I suspect we're going to need more help than just a quick question or two. I see that you have a link to http://patapscoresearch.com - and in searching for DNN assistance, we also found another website (https://deskpal.com/home) that shows your picture as well!

Should we work through one of those companies? Which one do you recommend?

Veteran Member

Send me an email from the Patapsco Research page.

Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

We're having the same trouble upgrading to the latest version. The incremental upgrade runs 7.4.2 but the site is inaccessible post-update. After digging around a significant amount, I came across a few fixes to get where I thought the upgrade succeeded but the site times out.

Some solutions I'll share here are:

Remove the content of app_code/XML folder and re-install latest version of XML module after the platform upgrade

Please make sure to remove all old modules and providers in /install subfolders.

Make sure you don't have any .zip files in your /Install/* folders.

Create "~\Install\upgradestat.log.resources.txt" file

Change App Pool Identity to Network Service for the necessary ACLs during the upgrade process.

These tidbits helped me get this far. The last entry in my log.resources file reads:

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: An error occurred loading a configuration file: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PATH\web.config' because it is being used by another process. (C:\Program Files (x86)\PATH\web.config) ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PATH\web.config' because it is being used by another process.

I closed the Notepad++ window using the config file but the page just spins.

Thanks for your help!

Veteran Member

In this case, the major source of error was that the URLMaster module was installed. Properly deactivating the module, reverting to the the default provider, and and then uninstalling the module allowed the site to work after the upgrade.

Actually I think that deactivating the module and reverting was all that was needed. Uninstalling was just to cleanup as later versions of DNN included the same functionality in the platform.

Then ... getting to 9.4.4 requires upgrading a bunch of modules ...
                      Joe Craig
                      DNN MVP
                      Patapsco Research Group
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved