DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Azure Hosting / Scale Out

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Good Morning Folks,

I have had much success hosting DNN on an Azure Web App for a couple of clients. Some of them have inquired about having the site run on multiple servers to avoid downtime. In Azure terms, I believe this is called scaling out.

Does anyone have experience with this, or documentation, on how to do this? I believe in the old DNN terms it was called a webfarm but I have no experience with that. Aside from the web app, is the database usually scaled out too so that it can be redundant and synced too?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

--Phil

Growing Member

This can be done, but it's not fully supported by out of the box (yet). Some third party modules help with this - both nBrane and Intelequia have solutions and there are probably others. DNN Evoq supports it, too.

When I've seen it done, the database server tends to be scaled up (more power), and the web boxes are scaled out (more servers).

I remember running into issues with a 3rd party extension (OpenContent) due to it's use of Lucene.net for content indexing, so we ended up scaling our instances up rather than out. It's been a while since then, so OpenContent might not have those issues anymore.

New Around Here

Thank you for this super valuable info! Sorry I didn't see it earlier, but I appreciate you sharing your experience.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
        2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
        3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
        4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
        5. No Flaming or Trolling.
        6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
        7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
        8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved