DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Microsoft ILogger Transition Issue

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

https://github.com/dnnsof...Platform/issues/3161

According to Andrew on "Issues Ready for Development" in Github link above we need to add support for Microsoft.Extensions.Logging and deprecate to remove current log4net Ilog in DNN 9.  They need to co-exist for version 10 to allow removing for version 11.

Is anyone currently working on this?  Seems like a top priority right now for an upcoming release.

Microsoft.Extensions.Logging

Microsoft.Extensions.Logging

Growing Member

I know that Peter Donker was looking into this a bit. I've been looking at it as well, as I want to get there ASAP so that we can pull in SeriLog to do some cool stuff.
      Mitchel Sellers
      Technology Advisory Group Leader
      CEO @ IowaComputerGurus, Inc. a DNN & .NET Solutions Provider
      Technical Blog: MitchelSellers.com

Growing Member

awesome, I am going to really dive into the .NET Core conversions needed as well once I resolve about 2-3 more issues for DNN 9. Then I will be full steam ahead with .NET Core and hopefully make version 10 a blur of the past heading to version 11 at lightning speed. I have had a heavy load over past months but I do want to contribute towards this progress getting DNN to the latest core version so I can use Blazor :)

Advanced Member

Posted By Cody on 11 Mar 2020 12:18 PM
          awesome, I am going to really dive into the .NET Core conversions needed as well once I resolve about 2-3 more issues for DNN 9. Then I will be full steam ahead with .NET Core and hopefully make version 10 a blur of the past heading to version 11 at lightning speed. I have had a heavy load over past months but I do want to contribute towards this progress getting DNN to the latest core version so I can use Blazor :)

This is a little confusing, so I just wanted to clarify a bit for others perhaps reading/following this post (which is intended to be about logging).  The journey to .NET Core is just that - a journey.  There are no set-in-stone versions or set-in-stone dates for a full conversion to .NET Core.  I just wanted to make it clear that the last statement about Blazor can be confusing.  There is honestly nothing stopping anyone today from creating a Blazor module that runs on DNN Platform in its current state.  We don't have to get to a full .NET Core implementation just to use Blazor (which is just a subset feature within .NET Core).  Also, if Blazor is the end goal, there is another CMS project that is fully built on Blazor and that is oqtane, which is headed up by Shaun Walker, and leverages many of the key concepts in the original DotNetNuke.  Feel free to check out this project too Cody.

David Poindexter
          Corporate Website  |  Facebook Page  |  Twitter Page

nvisionative
          Creator of:

Growing Member

Thanks David. I will have to get more into the Blazor topic to get versed on it more and I do need keep this topic focused on the logger issue. I really just want to keep the ball rolling here as much as I can.

oqtane looks pretty interesting. I will take a closer look since it is Blazor DNN ... needs fine tuned but worth looking into to play with some .NET Core Blazor.

I am going to post up a link to current issues related to .NET Core I just want to see where each issue is and how things are moving ahead. If there is anything I can understand how to fix I will try my best :).

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved