DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Exceptions Loading Modules that don't appear in Extensions

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

In my log file (in \Portals\_default\Logs) I see exceptions where DNN is trying to load BusinessControllerClasses for old Extensions that were on the site at one time, but are no longer there.

I find that these appear in the BusinessControllerClass column of the DesktopModules table.  There are matching ModuleDefinition table entries and Module table entries.

They don't appear in the UI when I look in Extensions.

I'm puzzled as to why they don't appear in the Extensions UI.  I'd also like advice on how to safely delete them from my site.

Thanks,
    Richard
    www.dynamisys.co.uk

Veteran Member

Richard,

it seems that the modules have not been properly installed. I would try to get rid of any records that belong to these modules (delete the rows in DesktopModules, DesktopModulePermissions, ModuleDefinitions, Modules, TabModules, ModuleControls, ModuleSettings, TabModuleSettings, etc.) and the tables, stored procedures, functions... belonging to these modules.

Then I would look at the bin folder, if the DLLs are still there and delete them if so, and also delete anything belonging to these modules in App_Code and DesktopModules.

But first: make a backup of the files and database.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Growing Member

Thank you. Pretty much what I am resigned to doing.

I am still curious. Does anyone know, what makes something appear in the Extensions UI? I compared table rows in my DB with ones for a module (Forum) that does appear in extensions. So far I see no obvious difference that would explain it.

So I am clearly missing somthing.

Thanks,
        Richard
        www.dynamisys.co.uk

Veteran Member

Did you check the Scheduled tasks for "old tasks"?

Growing Member

Thank you. No I hadn't done that.

I have now, it only explains one of them. Thank you; that was a good shot.

Still wondering why the others seem to be invisible to the UI. What tables get displayed in the UI?
            Thanks,
            Richard
            www.dynamisys.co.uk

Veteran Member

Uninstalling modules is partly up to the uninstall script of the module, which is why some parts can remain after uninstalling a module.
              Apart from the scheduled task I have also see sites where scanners made calls to an ashx and kept doing that after it was removed, resulting in erros in the admin log.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved