DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

ckEditor

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

So i see that the latest version of ckEditor is version 5 and the version on my dnn install is 4.5.3

Can i upgrade to this editor or is this something that dnn handles only in their module

I am only into dnn for 1 week.

Veteran Member

What's being used in DNN is like a "server side code" wrapper around CKEditor.
      The server side code is used to inject the editor and write the "resulting html to the server, but also for the CkEditor options.
      CKEditor itself is obviously "just" javascript.
      As CKEditor 5 is very different from 4, you won't be able to do a simple upgrade IMO as you would need to change the attached server code too. I actually wondered today if I could overwrite the 4.5.3 editor files (the JS files) with 4.13.1, but I'm not sure that would work.
      It also depends on how much has changed between 4.5.3 and 4.13.1

New Around Here

Timo that's way above my level of expertise.

The reason i was interested in upgrading is i see that tables that get displayed are now much cleaner and scrollable when viewed on a mobile phone then what i am getting currently getting and i thought that was a fucntion of the new ckEditor. See how these tables on the following link scroll when viewed from a mobile phone -

https://ckeditor.com/docs...basic-table-features

my tables in my website do not scroll this way and i thought that was a ckeditor function.

Veteran Member

Normally the scrolling is done using CSS, I expect that CKEditor 5 inserts any extra html/ classes or CSS for that.
          The easiest solution I know of requires an extra div: https://www.w3schools.com...table_responsive.asp

New Around Here

Timo thank you ever so much that solves a major problem for me and also that w3schools site looks like a great resource for a newbie like me. I would have thought that dnn would wrap up a later version of ckEditor rather than web builders have to go into the code behind and modify.

New Around Here

In DNN 9 where can i add a link for a css file to a page or a html container

so how can i assign a link like this to a dnn page:   

New Around Here

Posted By Bob M on 05 Mar 2020 03:04 AM

In DNN 9 where can i add a link for a css file to a page or a html container

so how can i assign a link like this to a dnn page:   link rel=" stylesheet"="" href="/html/styles.css"

New Around Here

Hi Bob, you can add a link to a style sheet in several places.

If it is going to be sitewide, or needed on a number of pages, then I'm guessing the best plan to add it would be in the skin you are using: typically under this directory
                  wwwroot\Portals\_default\Skins\mySkinName

However if you only need it one place, or for testing, you can also add it per page, by going to Page Settings | Advanced and there's a place to enter "Page Stylesheet".

You can also go (with the HTML module at least) to the Module Settings dialog and there is a place to add content to the page header & footer. This isn't so elegant, but it you only need it in one place it is an option.

Veteran Member

I would have thought that dnn would wrap up a later version of ckEditor rather than web builders have to go into the code behind and modify.

I just want to make a comment on this statement.

It is important to understand exactly how "dnn" is.  The short summary is that "dnn" is us.

DNN is an open source project, and maintenance and development of the project is the focus of the "DNN Community."  The organizational structure and work on the platform is nearly 100% the work of volunteers.

If you have a specific wish list item, bug report, or other suggestion you can go to the Github page for the DNN project at https://github.com/dnnsof.../Dnn.Platform/issues and create a new issue.

Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group

Advanced Member

Hi, I am running DNN 9.6.1 with Extensions 'CK Editor Editor Provider 2.1.27' , and 'DNN Connect CKEditor Provider 1.0.8'.

Which is the latest version of CK Editor that I can run inside DNN 9.6.1?

Thanks
                      Tom

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved