DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Language packs for updates?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

The none en-US language packs are not available for maintenance by the community. They are located at some URL, used during installation or language install.

When are the .resx files available in github for community editing, corrections and updates?

Veteran Member

This is a real good point, and I've been asking this some time ago. The success of DNN Platform is also depending on having language packs in the "main" languages.

I am willing to support the project, but what we need for this is a useable editor. Sorry, guys, but the one delivered with DNN is unusable (the input looses the focus at each linebreak), and the tool on the DNN Connect site has some nice ideas in it, but there is very much unclear - e.g. I translated a field with a content like <div>some text</div> to something like <div>irgendein text</div> in German - and then it displayed the angle brackets and the "div" on the translated page, instead of rendering it as HTML. I should have written the angle brackets in the field, but on the English original, it was displayed HTML-encoded.

Happy DNNing
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Growing Member

I think that the DNN-Connect module has the best option atm.

I have been using it to collect language packs, update with new versions, etc. Yep, it needs some love. The problem you mention could be covered in code.

I the past, you had auto translate, using Google Translate V1. That would speed up things a lot. The auto translate was never updated to GT V2.

But what I am really waiting for it the possibility to edit and update the core none en-US LP's. Why are those not in the DNNPlatform repo?

Veteran Member

Ernst Peter,

this is a question I can't answer. I don't know if anybody does translations anyway. For a time DNN Corp paid a group of translators, and these language packs were available here. But the last version you can find there is 9.2.0.

I started a thread about this a while ago, the only answer was that the TAG team is working on it. But this is nine months ago, the baby should be born already :-)

As I said in my thread above: The language packs are needed for a success of DNN. No one wants a CMS only available in English (except the English speaking world - admitted, this is not the smallest part of mankind).

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

Growing Member

Sebastian Leupold has been working to get a process going for the Language Packs so that we can get them hosted into a repo and managed.  The current theory would be 1 Repo per language pack most likely to aid in the management & release of them since the individual contributors might contribute at different levels/releases.

If desired, I can take and push the current Language Packs into Repos in the coming week, the last truly maintained/released versions of the packages was 9.2.0.

This is an open source project and driven by volunteer effort, so if we have people that want to participate we will make it possible, but we need experts in each language to review/approve as those of us English only speakers are not going to be good at reviewing.

Mitchel Sellers
            Technology Advisory Group Leader
            CEO @ IowaComputerGurus, Inc. a DNN & .NET Solutions Provider
            Technical Blog: MitchelSellers.com

Growing Member

Please make the packs available as repo ASAP.

I created an nl-NL repo some time ago (https://github.com/DNNCom...y/DNNPlatform.nl-NL) and already did a serious number of corrections.

if you create new repo's I will merge my corrections in the new one and archive the mentioned repo.

I am willing to be an approver for the NL version, and I can probably find 1 or 2 others to function as approver for the NL pack as well.

Growing Member

@Mitchel: any news and progress on this point?

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved