DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Site Settings Error

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

I have followed quite a few threads regarding this issue and still continue to receive the "There was an error retrieving your content. Please check your internet connection." (only on the Site Settings/Site Info and Site Settings/Site Behavior/Default Pages). This is on a brand new Dev site which I upgraded to 9.4.4 and then downgraded to 9.3.2.24  I noticed the error originally at the 9.1.1 version, but thought lets upgrade to see if a newer revision solved the issue.

When I look at chromes dev console I am getting:
    https://***.com/API/PersonaBar/SiteSettings/GetPortalSettings?portalId=0&cultureCode=en-US 400
    Which seems to be getting the portal ID correctly versus other posts where I have seen it be undefined.

I don't seem to see anything else in the logs that point to this issue.

I have tried the following:
    - Newtosoft.json fixes with no resolve
    - removing the DesktopModules/Admin/Dnnpersonabar/Resourses/localresources.en-us.resources file with no resolve
    - Permissions at the root with no resolve.
    A variety of other fixes that have apparently fixed other users installations, but none have since fixed this for me. Just can't come up with anything viable to alleviate this issue and it is becoming extremely frustrating especially since I cannot make really any modications to the general site like I should be able to.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Veteran Member

AFAIK you cannot "downgrade" - how did you do that?

If it is "brand new", then you should delete the 9.4.4 site and set up the 9.3.2 site from scratch.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Veteran Member

It's most likely a DB issue that casues this.
        At what version of DNN did this installation start?
        There were some issues with invalid dates in DNN 8/7 that could cause this.

New Around Here

So to clarify by downgrade I actually started from scratch again and followed a recommended upgrade path I found on the DNN site somewhere.
          The initial version on my host was a really early version of 7. I then jumped to 7.4.2 and then went to 8.0.4 and all was good with this error. I then went to 9.0.1 where the first occurrence of this being noticeable was, this is also where I noticed it the first time around. I then jumped to 9.1.1 and 9.3.2. During the first round of this I actually went to 9.4.4 and 9.5.0 just to see what would happen and it still was present. I currently sit back at 9.3.2.
          So I guess with all of that said it for sure starts with version 9.x.
          I tend to agree it is in the DB somewhere as DLL and various other configs in the web.config file look to be correct. It almost feels like localization, but I don't have any of that setup. Just really at a loss with this one.

Veteran Member

FYI, the reason that this started at 9.x is that the Persona Bar was introduced at that point.

Since the error occurs for you with all versions of DNN 9, I would go to 9.5.0 try to solve the problem there. The only caveat would be if you are using modules that are not compatible.

I think that all of the other fixes to which you refer have been fixed in 9.5.0.

You refer to pages where the errors occur. Are you referring to actual site pages, or just to Persona Bar components? Does the site work otherwise?
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Understood on the reason this problem is only in 9.x thanks. :) The site overall works just fine, so that is a positive. I am just not able to make any UI configuration changes in the Persona Bar components on the Site Settings/Site Info and Site Settings/Site Behavior/Default Pages. All the other sub items in those components work just fine. I could potentially do some of that through the DB if need be. I do currently have some modules that are just now being brought up to speed with 9.5.0 so getting there might be a touch difficult. Thinking about trying to do a fresh install of 9.x on my local machine to see if I can get by this. Then perhaps I can try that same process on my host. Just not sure what kind of hoops I may need to jump through. Just frustrated with this little hiccup.

Veteran Member

On a site of mine, when I look at the Network tab in the developer settings, I do see a call to API/PersonaBar/SiteSettings/GetPortalSettings?portalId=0&cultureCode=en-US.

If I double click to on the File, it resubmits the request in a new window, and I get returned data that is shown. However, I'm getting a status of 200, not the 400 error that you are getting.
                I feel your pain. If I were trying to debug this, here are some things that I would try.

The 400 error indicates a malformed request or some sort of error on the client side.

For starters, clear the server cache and restart the application. Also clear your browser's cache. Then try this again, or just resubmit the request. (I expect no change, but try it to be sure.)

Are you absolutely sure that this site is Portal 0?

You might also want to install a clean version of 9.5.0 on the same server, just to make sure that there are no server issues.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks Joe for the assistance so far. I am for sure positive that its portal 0 yes. I am going to try a fresh install of 9.5 on my local and see what happens and if I can get by this. If so I might need to wait until my 3rd party modules get caught up for 9.5 and then get it updated in my host. If I find anything specific I will for sure post back here with an update or if I find anything of interest.

Veteran Member

If you have modules that wont work with 9.5.0, just do the clean install of the version to which you want to upgrade.
                    Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

So I followed your step and looked at the Network tab in the developer settings. When I look at this a bit further and take a look at the error it looks to be localization specific. Kind of strange considering localization is not turned on. I put the error below. What is also strange is that as an example under Site Behavior tab. If you click Default pages you get the error. Go to Messaging no error with a 200 response with a URL of GetMessagingSettings?portalID=0; No culturecode being returned. That is the same for every other tab in the Site Behavior area. Not sure if only Default Pages is localization specific. Just thought it looked interesting. Also noticed that in the portalsettings table the culturecode field is NULL for every row except the Skin or container items. Not sure if this means anything either. Working on getting a local install done to try and compare against here in the next couple hours.

<script> <br /> (function(){EventTarget.prototype.ol_originalAddEventListener=EventTarget.prototype.addEventListener,EventTarget.prototype.addEventListener=function(t,e){var n=this,r=arguments.length>2&&void 0!==arguments[2]&&arguments[2];this.ol_originalAddEventListener(t,e,r),"click"===t&&setTimeout((function(){!window.OL_NOT_LOGIN_PAGE&&n.setAttribute&&n.setAttribute("data-ol-has-click-handler","")}),0)}})("") <br /> </script> <br /> <Message>Current site does not support this locale (en-US).</Message> <br /> </Error>
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved