DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Copying Database Tables from one DNN to Another

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Hello, I'm new to DNN and I've been tasked to migrate a content from the a DNN website to another. Mostly just are copy and paste of content, but everything became painful when I had to migrate a thousand of articles from a module/extension. 

I also have the same the extension installed on the new website, so I contacted the support team of the module author with a hope that they can help me out. And this is what they said to me. 

"You will need DigArticle installed on the new site.  The easiest thing to do is transfer all the DigArticle* tables, make all the ID columns keep their same ID's.  Then copy the Portals/[id]/DigArticle folder over to the new site.  IF you don't maintain the ID's in the DigArticle table, you'll have to re-map all the IDs."

I have done copying the folder to a new site. But I have no idea how to do the copying of tables. 

Here's my situation.
    1. Old website website is on a different server.
    2. New website is on new server (PLESK)
    3. I have .MDF file of the old website's database.
    4. I have the .sql script generated using MSSMS.

What I tried already.
    1. Uploding the .sql script on my database using Import Dump (Plesk). But I failed misserably. 

During this crisis, I don't have money to hire someone that could this for me, so I am really hoping that someone that can provide a straightforward solution. Thank you so much in advance, and stay safe guys.

Veteran Member

What I would do is ho with EasyDNnnews.
      1. Modern, full blown, well supported and vert versatile module.
      2. Comes with digiarticles import van extension if O remember correctly.
      Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Hello Tycho , I appreciate your reply sir. Unfortunately, we already bought the DigArticle and I don't think we can refund that if we choose to switch into different module. 

Veteran Member

Have you had any contact with DigNuke about this. Mike is fairly helpful.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Hi Joe, 

I already did but he only reply like 1x a week. 

Growing Member

markjoeylavapie, you mentioned you are copying this module and its articles to a "new" website. Is it really new? Or is it an established site? I ask because if it is a brand new site (or could be a brand new site) then you could actually backup the whole original website with the articles module still installed and restore it in the new host environment as a working copy of the original DNN install. Then you can start changing the pages and content and such to become your new website. The articles module would be intact and working just as before.

Veteran Member

DigArticle does support Export/Import. I would try that first.  Export the module's content from the current website.  Then moved the exported file to the new location and see if you can import it.

You can also use an RSS feed create an XML file of much of the important data. This also requires a working website.  You can also import RSS feeds into DigArticle. 

Refer to the User's guide for that.

Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the DNN Community.

If this is not yet resolved, I recommend you consider the 14-day trial of Redgate Sql Tools. They are expensive for the non-enterprise user but the trial is likely enough to get you over your hump. You'll need a bunch more clients to justify a purchase. I found them very intuitive and easy to use, but start by backing up!

I also found exploring their tools as a way of demystifying the DNN Database. 

Regards,

Peter

New Around Here

My boss doesn't like the idea because he claims that the database of the old website is corrupted and he only wants to transfer articles from 2019. 

New Around Here

Hello @Mark Buelsing, my boss doesn't like the idea because he claims that the database of the old website is corrupted and he only wants to transfer articles from 2019. 

@Joe, that was one of the things that I was trying to figure out. But on our newly installed DNN with clean DigArticle installation, there is no import option that can import the exported xml file I generated from the old website's DigArticle module. It only has RSS Import and 3rd Party Import. 

@Peter Goodhue, thanks sir, sounds interesting, I will surely look into that.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved