DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

High / extreme memory usage (DNN 9.4.1)

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I just upgraded from DNN 8 to 9.4.1.

After upgrading DNN, the memory usage of w3wp process is increasing continously and never stopping. At one point it reached 3 GB before I had to recycle the app pool to avoid using all the servers memory. Usually it's around 600 MB and stable. The site has about 20k session per day.

There's no 3rd party modules on the site - only custom made modules. Non of those modules was change when upgrading to DNN 9.4.1.

I have tried to debug by disabling custom modules but it does not change anything, but the speed of which the memory usage increases.

When analyzing a memory dump of the IIS w3wp process (using dotMemory from Jetbrains and DebugDiag from MS) I see the the garbage collector heap usage is massive: 1.3 GB out of a 1.8 GB memory dump.

I know that it's like finding a needle in a haystack but does anybody have an idea what to look for? I'm quite sure that the problem is a memory leak within the custom modules. But given that nothing else changed besides DNN, it could be something that worked ok in DNN8 but not in DNN9?

There are no compiler warnings, no use of the deprecated API's from DNN 8 to 9.4 (I think). But the modules does use "System.Runtime.Caching.MemoryCache" quite a lot. Could that be a problem in DNN9?

All theories are welcome and appreciated.

New Around Here

Maybe this is related to the dependency injection updates of DNN 9.4?

dotMemory (Jetbrains) is listing Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceProvider at the top list.

See screenshot:

https://ibb.co/vjK5rsc

New Around Here

Ok, I have a new lead: The DNN log files (in portals\_default\log) show this error every minute since upgrading to DNN 9.4.1.

I did not change any settings regarding the Client Resources Management / composite files (other than "increment version"). And the only scheduled jobs I have running every minute is Purge Log Buffer and Purge Module Cache

Any ideas?

2019-10-17 23:59:39,890 [Servername][Thread:122][FATAL] DotNetNuke.Web.Common.Internal.DotNetNukeHttpApplication - System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): Path not found
           at ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpContextBase context, String fileset, ClientDependencyType type, Int32 version, Byte[] outputBytes, OutputCachedPage page)
           at ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler.System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
           at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
           at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step)
           at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

New Around Here

Apparently there's an issue with ClientDependency in DNN 9.4.1. The errors "Path not found" was caused by this line added to the skin. It worked in DNN8 but not in 9:

I removed it and the error stopped appearing in the log files. Well, almost...it went from every minute to a couple of times per hour.

However it didn't solve the memory issue. Sigh....

New Around Here

Trying again:

<  dnn:DnnCssInclude runat="server"
                FilePath="~/resources/shared/stylesheets/dnndefault/8.0.0/default.css"
                Priority="1"
                Name="dnndefault"
                Version="8.0.0" /  >

New Around Here

For other interested in this, see this issue on Github: https://github.com/dnnsof...Platform/issues/3186

It seems to be a problem with dependency injection in DNN9.4.
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved