DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Issue with Mobile Infinite Redirect Loops

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with a newish DNN 9.6.2 Community Edition site that I'm trying to set up. This is made with a responsive design, so it is meant to be only one website for both desktop and mobile users. I can access the site fine on desktop.  However, when I try accessing it on mobile, I get into a whole bunch of redirects which then eventually errors in Chrome and Safari. In the HTTP response, the HTTP header value for x-redirect-reason is Wrong Portal Alias Requested.

I noticed in the headers that it seems that the DNN module for detecting the device type and redirecting as necessary is enabled, as the dnn_isMobile cookie value is set to 1 in it (I can reproduce on my desktop by going into a mobile view via the F12 Chrome developer tools). In my Site Aliases configuration section (and confirmed in the PortalAliases table), my portal aliases are all set up to use Canonical for Site Alias Mapping Mode. I have set up all of the various aliases as needed, and the BrowserType is set to Normal.

Since the issue seems to be that there's the mobile detection and redirection happening errenously and redirecting into an endless loop, is it possible to disable this mobile redirection feature? I have searched far and wide for determining how to do this in the documentation and online, but can't seem to find the correct setting to do so. I may have overlooked it though.

Like I said, this is a modern site we're building and not doing anything like a separate mobile portal or anything like that, so it's better to just not use this mobile redirection feature at all.

Please let me know if you need more details. I would really appreciate any assistance on this!

New Around Here

Well, it turned out to be something really silly. When I verified this against a separate fresh DNN install, mobile worked out of the box. The only difference I noticed was a primary Site Alias was set, but no primary site alias on the other site I was having issues with.

Once I set a primary site alias, the redirect errors stopped happening and worked correctly. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not in the end of DNN, but that's the way to resolve this particular issue at least.

Edit: The only caveat is that when trying to access any other non-primary url with Site Alias set to Browser Type 'Normal' on mobile is that the same redirect loop. If you set the type to Mobile, it will work on mobile, but then the redirect loop happens on the desktop browser.

So, my issue is resolved and this can be worked around for me, but I guess the question really is if there's a way of telling DNN not to care about the Browser Type for any site alias and no do any mobile detection and redirection regardless if the the site alias being accessed is primary or not.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved