DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN Mail Service Sender Name Mystery

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi DNN community members,

I'm not sure if this should be here in the Admin/Config section or development section, please let me know if I should move it. 

I have a custom e-commerce checkout module that my company developed. It notifies the customer of a completed purchase by sending a template-based email message to the customer, showing their transaction details. The message is sent using the DotNetNuke.Services.Mail class, and sets the FROM of the message using a Module Setting value -  DotNetNuke.Services.Mail.Mail.SendEmail(SendEmailFrom, SendEmailTo, SubjectLine, Body);

Our clients have just drawn to our attention that the customer is receiving thank you messages from the correct email address ([email protected]), however the Sender Name is showing as "DNN". I've been trying to track that down, looking at the Portal Admin account, but don't see a simple "DNN" used anywhere. 

Can anyone point me to where the Sender NAME gets populated when it's not provided? I would almost think that would come from a contact list somewhere, but it's obviously not the customer's contacts. If it's relevant, we used SendGrid as our SMTP server/relay.

Thanks! David

Veteran Member

please check the SMTP server - your account, used for sending, might have got that name.

New Around Here

Thanks, Sebastian, I'll look into that. I believe that the SendGrid account API that I've configured as the SMTP server was provided by the client, so it's possible they set up the sender identity using "DNN" as a name somehow.

New Around Here

For future reference, I found another old thread on the dnnsoftware forum that directed me to a solution where I had to update a Host Setting in the database. 

Bradley Bull 4 years ago

Did you see other's reply to a similar thread? It is pulling this from the HostTitle attribute in the HostSettings table. You should also update the HostURL and HostEmail

https://www.dnnsoftware.c...-smtp-settings-dnn-9

Veteran Member

DNN Corp is default value vor Host Title, which used to be part of the Settings UI until DNN 8. I might have been dropped in PersonBar UI (AFAIR there was a plan to remove these settings), therefore you need to edit it manually in HostSettings database table atm.

New Around Here

Is this still the case, i.e. manual edting is required? 

Veteran Member

Posted By Jeff Parker on 1/21/2023 7:13 PM

Is this still the case, i.e. manual edting is required? 

It only depends on when your DNN instance was first installed.  Some of the defaults like this one may change over time.  Newer installations won't need to do this. 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved