DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Staging from Development to Live

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello..

I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything with DNN/Evoq which would allow administrators to push changes from a development (internal) environment to a live environment?

For example, making website changes on a development (internal) system, checking and approving the changes, then hitting a button or something similar which will then upload the changes to live without having to log into live and making the same updates on live.

Thanks..

Veteran Member

Evoq has such a tool, but I think it is limited to the HTML and Links modules.

Nothing that I know of in Platform.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

The tool in Evoq that I think Joe is referring to is the Content Staging module. I believe this was decommissioned a few years and is no longer being shipped. That being said, it only supported the HTML module out of the box and custom extensions had to be coded a specific way to use it properly. As well, it had a variety of bugs and issues with it especially on larger sites that could cause severe operational impacts in certain cases.

I built a custom extension for a specific client a few years ago to replace the Evoq functionality that was able to sync multiple environments together for content and config promotion, supporting almost all modules out of the box without coding. If this is something you want to investigate further, let me know and I can fill you in on our approach, etc.

Veteran Member

Thanks for the update. I wasn’t aware it had gone by the wayside.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

You're welcome.

If I recall correctly, it was stopped being updated and supported early on after it was even released (DNN Enterprise Edition - I think DNN v6.0).. it became unusable on multi portal sites without some database 'hacks' around DNN Platform 7.3 or so (I forget what exactly what Evoq version that is). We were given confirmation, after multiple attempts prodding, that the feature was basically dead at that point.. That's when we decided to migrate off of Evoq to Platform and build our own custom extension for syncing content (the client wasn't really using any other Evoq features but staging).

Veteran Member

Likely THE best reason to go Evoq.

Too bad that a proper version of staging, and one that could be used by other modules, wasn't implemented. We've got iPortable, so why can't we have iStageable?

Would this make a super feature that could be added to the platform?
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved