DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Standardizing icons

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Veteran Member

There are a lot of modules but it looks a bit of a mess. For a large portion this is due to the variety of icons.

1. Some look very dated. When a module was built for DNN 4.8 it looked fine but nowadays, it just amplifies how old it is.
    2. Some are images
    3. Some are icons but it does not help me what functionality it stands for
    4. Icons that mean in module A someting different than in module B

Is it a good idea to start a list that consolisates this somehow? It could be as simple as a table with icon name, htlm code, link to the repo (like Fontawesome)  and function. It would not be a mandatory prescription IMO but if you are working on the look & feel of a module, there would be a reference. 

Curious to hear/read what your opinion is on this one.

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
    Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
    We just love DNN
    https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Tycho,

I think this is a good idea - maybe the "Developers" area on DNNDocs is a good place for it!

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

I think that's a great idea, but we should consider same action for DNN Platform itself. If we're gonna standarize, let's do it from the base ;-)

Best,
        Francisco

Veteran Member

I agree that it would be good if this would be somehow standardized and I agree is a bit of a mess right now.
          But I'm not sure picking an existing "fixed" icon set is the best option as in that case you will have the same issue in a few years.
          I would to make those icons token based so you could eventually change the icon set.

[Icon:Edit]
          [Icon:Save] Etc.

But it should be super simple to implement or else developers will keep using their own solution IMO.

Veteran Member

We already have a built-in icon set and API in DNN.  It's extensible too, so it can be replaced.  I've used it ever since inception in my open source extensions

Unfortunately, some extensions were built before this existed, and those that have been built since either have decided to not use this feature or didn't know it existed.  :)

Growing Member

Posted By Will Strohl on 09 Jul 2019 01:57 PM

We already have a built-in icon set and API in DNN.  It's extensible too, so it can be replaced.  I've used it ever since inception in my option source extensions

Can that API support SVG graphics or is it just for raster formats? (GIF/PNG/JPG)

Veteran Member

Posted By Olly Hodgson on 09 Jul 2019 04:47 PM
                Posted By Will Strohl on 09 Jul 2019 01:57 PM

We already have a built-in icon set and API in DNN.  It's extensible too, so it can be replaced.  I've used it ever since inception in my option source extensions

Can that API support SVG graphics or is it just for raster formats? (GIF/PNG/JPG)

AFAIK only bitmap, also I'm not sure a lot of developers actually know about it.

Veteran Member

So far, there isn't SVG support, but that could be changed in the future.  :)

Advanced Member

We could certainly make it support svg. One concern though is that raster images and svgs work a bit different when consumed. For instance svgs have no size, so just swapping the set wont work unless the consumers know it is an svg and sizes them.

One thing that always bugs me is when I see stuff loading a whole big font and css to consume 3 icons. Same could be said for many other frameworks like bootstrap and even jQuery. I have no problem when it is an offered option, but I frown when it is forced.

Growing Member

Yeah, that's why I have a preference for inline SVGs for icons (as opposed to icon/dingbat fonts).

As you say, you need to know / set the sizes in advance, but most icon sets I've used tend to supply a square SVG image, so as long as you supply the width/height in the HTML and/or the CSS you're golden.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved