DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

HTML editor broken after upgrade to 9.6.1

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Growing Member

Hi all, fairly unfamiliar with the inner workings of DNN so the solution here may be obvious. After a quick upgrade to 9.6.1 to addres security vulnerabilities the HTML editor module on several of our sites broke in different ways. Some were addressed by updating the web config for CKE Editor, but that hasn't fixed this error. It may have to do with .dlls, I am unsure, so I thought I would get community input.

The error appears on the Edit Content page of the module, and reads:

Error: is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The base class includes the field 'dgHistory', but its type (DotNetNuke.Web.UI.WebControls.DnnGrid) is not compatible with the type of control (DotNetNuke.Web.UI.WebControls.Internal.DnnGrid). ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The base class includes the field 'dgHistory', but its type (DotNetNuke.Web.UI.WebControls.DnnGrid) is not compatible with the type of control (DotNetNuke.Web.UI.WebControls.Internal.DnnGrid). ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The base class includes the field 'dgHistory', but its type (DotNetNuke.Web.UI.WebControls.DnnGrid) is not compatible with the type of control (DotNetNuke.Web.UI.WebControls.Internal.DnnGrid). at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildFieldDeclaration(ControlBuilder builder) at

(...etc, many more [...] at [...])

Veteran Member

Is this the case that RadEditor was used prior to the upgrade? If so, I think that the best solution is to revert back to the original site, switch the HTML Editor Provider to CKE, and then repeat the upgrade. Somewhere in there you also want to uninstall the RadEditor provider. You do that on the Extensions page.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Before the upgrade the site was version 9.0.1 I believe, so it was probably the case that RadEditor was being used. I wasn't in charge of the upgrade to this instance, but other instances were upgraded in a similar way and aren't having the same problem.

Unfortunately, reverting back is not an optio so any fixes will have to be done on the site as it is.

Would uninstalling the HTML editor module and then reinstalling the lastest version work as a fix? I had considered it but since 90% of the site is simply pages with the HTML editor I didn't want to risk something breaking in a worse way.

Veteran Member

If you have the Persona Bar available, you can go to Site Settings, Site Behavior, More an using the dropdown there to select the CKE as the default editor.

If you do not have the PB, you can edit web.config to make CKE the default. It should be installed or available as part of the upgrade. If not, separately create a clean install of DNN 9.6.1 and take a look at web.config to see how it should be edited. You'll be section in web.config that specifies the default HTML editor.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Big thanks for your quick reply. I do have access to the PB, so I've checked in Site Settings and the install is already using CKE. I had updated the web config previously as well.

Looking at my Extension settings the HTML module is at version 9.0.2, which is a far cry from the current version, so maybe that is where the problem lies.

Veteran Member

Yes, you should have version 9.6.1 of the HTML module installed. You should be able to find the module's installation file in the upgrade package for DNN 9.6.1. Just use the PB Extensions page to install it as a normal module.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Upgrading the module fixed the above problem, but now there are further issues. I'm only able to view Edit Content in the Basic Text Box view. The console is now throwing a "Uncaught ReferenceError: CKEDITOR is not defined" among a few other 500 internal server errors.

Going into Site Settings -> Site Behavior -> More to the HTMl Editor Manager page, it is set to DNNConnect.CKE but there is a message that reads "The current HTML Editor Provider is not supported by this version of the HTML Editor Manager."

If it's useful, the web.config includes:

htmlEditor defaultProvider="DNNConnect.CKE"
                      providers
                        clear 
                        add name="DotNetNuke.RadEditorProvider" type="DotNetNuke.Providers.RadEditorProvider.EditorProvider, DotNetNuke.RadEditorProvider" providerPath="~/DesktopModules/Admin/RadEditorProvider" settingsControlPath="~/DesktopModules/Admin/RadEditorProvider/ProviderConfig.ascx" 
                        add name="DNNConnect.CKE" type="DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.CKHtmlEditorProvider, DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider" providerPath="~/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/DNNConnect.CKE/" settingsControlPath="~/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/DNNConnect.CKE/Module/EditorConfigManager.ascx" 
                      providers
                    htmlEditor

Veteran Member

Using a clean install of 9.6.1, compare versions of all installed extensions, and do the same trick with them.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Thanks Joe.

Comparing this site to another site upgraded at the same time, from the same version and with the same process (in fact, the problem site was a copy of this other site way back in the day): the "parent" site has a working HTML editor using CKEditor and all of the extensions the two sites share are the same version.

I will also compare with a clean install, but the mystifying thing is the DNN sites having these problems are children of this "parent" site which has no problems. They all share almost the same set of extensions are are used for the same function, just with different coats of paint.

Growing Member

It looks like things are breaking in the module as it runs through editorCongifeditortxtContent and hits this line:
                      blockedKeystrokes: [CKEDITOR.CTRL + 66, CKEDITOR.CTRL + 73, CKEDITOR.CTRL + 85],
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved