DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Developing Dnn.Users or other Modules

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Is there a how-to guide for a developer to modify DNN Admin Modules (like Users, Roles, etc). For example if I wanted to add some additional controls to the Persona bar Users module. The same question goes for upgrading core messaging module. How would I start  extending it (to show messages specific to url for example)?.

Anything to get me in direction on how to quick start developing DNN Admin modules would be great. Do I download the source, build it and replace the files in my website project?

New Around Here

To know how to develop DNN modules, you can check from here:
      https://www.dnnsoftware.c...evelopers/index.html
      Best regards,
      Linda

-
      E-mail account: [email protected]

Veteran Member

Posted By lukalev on 08 Jul 2019 04:06 PM

Do I download the source, build it and replace the files in my website project?

I wouldn't say there is a how-to guide for any specific module use case - only for technologies/patterns. 

As for building a module for features that already exist in some form, your idea of beginning with existing source code is spot on.  This is discussed in DNNDocs a bit.  I wouldn't suggest doing this from within DNN's source code package/repo itself though.

Instead, I would suggest starting with an existing module template/pattern and then applying the existing source code to your new module, as required.

Advanced Member

Basically for the persona bar modules, I can start by looking at some modules at https://github.com/dnnsof.../Dnn.AdminExperience

The manifest has a a registration for the persona bar module and the persona bar page where it lives. Then you basically load up html and optionally scripts and javascript. Some of those modules use React and the Dnn.React.Common bundle but a few of those are simpler and use just html and some knockout for bindings...

Note that if you do decide to use the Dnn.React.Common bundle, then you may have to update your module very often, so I would not recommend it at the moment. If what you want to add or improve is of general interest than I would also suggest creating an issue for it and if it is a common enough feature, it could be worth making that a pull request to include it in the platform.

New Around Here

Thanks for all the answers. I need to add that this video is also helpful (found by one of my colleagues): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhDqiQ9vOk

Advanced Member

Yeah, one more view for my video :)

That being said, if the modifications you want to do on these admin modules you think are general enough to be of general use, you could also put an issue in github and then submit a pull request and get help if needed, etc. I am just saying this because if you replace the module but it has the same name, it will get overwritten on each update
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved