DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Error 503 upon finishing fresh DNN install

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Team,

I am fresh installing DNN and everything goes fine along the installation wizard. Then the "Visit Website" button appears, and bum, a DNN error page appears, with DNN logo and all saying "No sites currently exist for this installation. - 503 Service Unavailable".

My setup is a Cloud Server with Windows Server 2012 R2, .NET 4.5 installed, IIS 8.5 and SQL Server Express 2012.

I have installed both DNN versions without any issue under Windows 10 Pro localhost, and now I'm trying to move the environment online.

I have checked the install logs under \public_html\Portals\_default\Logs and did not find a clear issue that may lead to this result, except for this line:
    System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): The file '/Admin/ControlPanel/ControlBar.ascx' does not exist.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Alejandro.

Veteran Member

Alejandro,

first: Welcome to the DNN Community.

Which version of DNN are you trying to install? For DNN 9.3+ you need .Net Framework 4.7.2+ (which is not included in Win 2012R2, but in Win 10), could this be the issue?

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thank you Michael for your prompt response!

Will try your suggestion right now!

I will post the results asap.

Thank you also for your welcome! :)

New Around Here

The 4.7.2 framework is correcly installed, I have cheked both trying to install it and later within the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full. Under which the Release number is 528049, indicating a correct installation of the .NET framework 4.8+ and below.

There is something else going on here... 

Thank you again for your help!

Veteran Member

Alejandro,

please double check the permissions in the installation (app pool account should have modify permissions througout the folder structure) and the database (db_owner role for the installation).

Still the question for the DNN version is not answered yet.

Next question: did you unblock the zip file before installing?

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

New Around Here

I will chech the permissions first time this afternoon, and I will let you know.

Regarding DNN version, I am installing both v9.6.2 and 9.7.2, trying each one at a time (since both versions have worked fine before with other environments).

And yes, I have unlocked the zip file, unzipped it in one folder and then copied all files to another folder before finaly copying them to the install folder.

As soon as I find the permissions settings I will let you know :)

Thank you!!

Veteran Member

In terms of install and test multiple versions, I strongly recommend nvQuickSite. That will get you installed and running with very little need to think or configure.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thank you Joe, it really seems a useful tool, but it did not solve the problem.

nvQuickSite left me at the DNN install wizard page where everything went ok until finishing (supposedly fine) and the button "Visit your Website" appears. Then the same error 503 pops up.

@Michael, I am trying several configurations for the permissions, as soon as I have news, good or bad, I will let you know.

Thank you team!
                  Best,
                  Alejandro.

Veteran Member

Just for fun, can you browse directly to the website instead of clicking that button?

If you use nvQuickSite, permissions shouldbe done correctly.

(I think I have seen something like that now and then, but have just browsed to the site successfully.)

Also check and see that your server meets all of the DNN requirements..
                    Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Alejandro,

just fyi: nvQuicksite is a useful tool, but not recommended for production sites.

Please check also your AppPool Settings, the managed pipeline mode must be "Integrated".

Happy DNNing!
                      Michael

Michael Tobisch
                      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                      DNN Connect
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved