DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Authenticate external application with DNN application

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello,

I have an external app that is working as an external application. It needs to use our DNN website users to authenticate. If the user is available it should send back to as an authenticated user and also user profile data.

How can I receive the request and check the user availability and send back the response? Please, can you advise? the external app is using angular react.

If there is an inbuilt module free/commercial please show me. Otherwise, please, can you advise me on how to develop this? As n DNN module or API?

Appreciate your advice and the support.

Thank you!

Veteran Member

Can anyone help with this?
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

i have a similar need where i am running another .net application as a subdomain, which has its own authentication system. it would be very nice to federate the two sites such that a user who logs in to the subdomain would be authenticated with the dnn site. and though i program, it would be nice to have a software package which does this. (it is enough to configure and maintain a site without having to write code :-o ). i do not want to create windows os users as both sites are public facing. i also do not want to use 3d party oauth systems such as google or facebook logins to accomplish this.

Veteran Member

Hopefully someone will pipe up with some suggestions.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

It all depends where external app have it's user data store. I see two options:
            1. External website have it's own user data store. In that case dedicated authentication provider is required. The best option to do that is see how the standard DNN login module works, the source code is on GitHub. Of course external app should expose some kind of API to connect with it, but often it doesn't have any hook to do that.
            2. Second option is where external website is using one of the popular user data store where users are, like: Azure AD, Active Directory, etc. In that case DNN has plugins where on the top of the protocols like: LDAP, ADFS, SAML, OpenID, etc. it can connect and do the job.

New Around Here

Another option would be to use the DNN Module XMOD Pro.

Your non-DNN system could call an endpoint on your DNN domain via the:

https://yourdomain.com/De...es/XModPro/feed.aspx endpoint with form and auth data, and the feed can return the user data / claims as JSON.

Regards,

Mike Palmer.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved