DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

.NET framwork version compatibility question

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Advanced Member

Hi - I'm upgrading from DNN 9.1.1 to 9.9.1 (through 9.2.2, 9.3.2 and 9.6.1), I'm aware that I need to upgrade .NET framework to 4.7.2 for DNN 9.6.1 to work.

My question is, can I upgrade .NET to 4.7.2 before getting to DNN 9.6.1? Will DNN 9.1.1 work under .NET 4.7.2. (I ask because I want to plan the upgrade in order to minimize downtime for the site, and it would be nice to upgrade .NET framework before going through all the steps from DNN 9.1.1 to 9.2.2 to 9.3.2 to 9.6.1 and finally to 9.9.1)

Let me know what you think!

-Tom

Veteran Member

Any version of DNN 9 should work with .Net 4.7.2, which is compatible with all previous versions of .Net 4.
      Therefore you should upgrade .net framework first (and make sure, it is up2date with security updates).

Advanced Member

Thanks Sebastian!

Advanced Member

Hi again -
          We updated to .Net 4.7.2 and the site is still running fine.
          However, I noticed that the site (which is still running DNN9.1.1), shows .Net version as "4.6" when I hover over the DNN Platform icon on the top left of the toolbar.
          Do you know if that is normal? Maybe this will show "4.7" when I upgrade to DNN 9.6, or 9.9 ?
          I want to make sure all is correct before I make the upgrade since this is a production site.

Tom

Veteran Member

yes, In DNN 9.9.x, DNN displays .Net 4.7 as .Net Framework version.

Advanced Member

Thanks Sebastian - My question is, does DNN 9.1.1 still display ".NET 4.6" , even though .NET 4.7.2 has been installed? That is what I'm seeing. I want to make sure things are correct before I start to upgrade.

-Tom

Veteran Member

My Win 10 machine that I sometimes use for testing shows 4.8 with DNN 9.10.0.

This may be server/operating system dependent.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

I would assume, both DNN and Windows OS need to be aware of the version existence to display its version correctly.

Advanced Member

Thanks for your replies. I'm pretty sure .Net 4.7.2 was installed correctly, so I guess I'll just go ahead and upgrade (with a backup in place just in case, of course). The display will probably correct itself to show .Net 4.7 on one of trhe upgrades.

Tom

Advanced Member

Hi again, I completed my upgrade successfully - and indeed, the .NET version display changed to "4.7" when I got to DNN 9.6.1.

Tom
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved